Balanced v Unbalanced

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Balanced v Unbalanced

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I didn't say it can't be balanced what I said is it can't be better for the reasons I have explained over and over and over.................again, it is the same as their Class A bullshit.

My shouting post explained it perfectly well, it seems the shouting didn't work. How loud you want me it make it. So I will switch on the loud hailer and the PA and hope it sinks in this time.

To balance the Krell or any other amp you have to add circuitry, either a balun (balance / unbalance transformer) or a sum and diff circuit built around an op-amp (discrete or not). Doing that cannot improve on the music, that is impossible, but used with long signal lines it will null out induced noise. So for pro use - essential and better, for hifi use - a waste of time and worse.

keepitsimplestupid
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by keepitsimplestupid »

I think the issue comes from the common use of 'Balanced' in the industry when what they mean is 'differential' .

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

If you're buying ex-professional audio equipment, then balanced comes with the territory. There's plenty of old pro gear that has offered great sound quality for the money you could buy it at used. In that context, balanced is just one of the things that comes with the territory.

For someone to think that any particular component sounded better than A N Other component because it was balanced - no I don't think so. The balanced component might sound better because of better engineering in certain other aspects. EG the mechanical engineering in a radio station vinyl source compared to some crappy consumer turntable. Or maybe better power supplies in some monster pro amp compared to a run of the mill domestic amp.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I am objecting purely to the bullshit marketing process of using balanced to create some sort of delusionary advantage to the music - it doesn't and it cannot. BUT you have to do something different to get you to stand out from the crowd, so things like balanced and active crossovers have been borrowed from the Pro industry to try and create a marketing advantage - that is THE ENTIRE reality behind this - it is marketing, not better music.

The way I am trying to stand out from the crowd is price and musical excellence. Call that a marketing ploy if you want, but I wouldn't do it if I couldn't do it, then I would have to search for some marketing bullshit like they do.