Home Visit

All things NVA
CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Home Visit

Unread post by CN211276 »

Some time ago I accepted a request from someone local to come round to listen to my Cube 1s when the Covid situation improved. It followed some less that complementary comments I posted on Wam about Spendor floor standers in comparison to my speakers. The comments were based on my experience at the Mscaler demo three years ago. In fairness his Spendors are higher up the range and not so thin. I looked up the price which is 4.5 K, 1 K more than the pair I heard at Audo T.

He brought a favourite CD unaware that I do not have a player. It was located on Qobuz and I was shocked to hear that lossless streaming was new to him, his platform being Spotify. Hardly surprising that CD is his preferred source. Like everyone who has experienced Cubes he was immediately struck by the totally different presentation. Comments were generally favourable but he preferred his speakers in some specific areas. He was also uncertain if Cubes would work in his dedicated listening room which is very different to mine. I said there was only one way to find out and informed him about the NVA loan offer to Wammers plus. He had very little knowledge about NVA and is unaware of this forum.

He was liking what he was hearing and questioned me on what part of the system was having the most impact. I said that the source, amplification speakers and cables all had major roles. He was intrigued by the number of boxes which make up my source and what they all do, including the BMU.

He is looking to improve every part of his system and considering stand mount speakers. His number one priority is the source though, CD transport and DAC. He is very interested the Qutest and hopes to be able to compare it with a Denafrips. I pointed out that my Qutest has been taken to a completely different level by the Mscaler and a quality PS is needed to get the best from it.

Actions speak louder than words and I think he stayed longer than he was expecting to having brought only one CD. He wanted to listen rather than talk. More of his favourite tunes were found on Qobuz and played at high and low volume. It seemed that after the initial shock he had become accustomed to the semi-omnidirectional presentation and was enjoying the music rather than analysing the differences from a hifi perspective. To conclude he asked me to put on some of my choices and was treated to some 70s classic rock. He said he had never heard the operatic section of Bohemian Rhapsody sound like that before!

It was a pleasant and informative evening.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post (total 8):
r3xj0hn570n (Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:00 am) • antonio66 (Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:28 am) • Fretless (Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:39 am) • Latteman (Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:17 am) • Lindsayt (Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:10 am) • savvypaul (Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:07 am) • CycleCoach (Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:27 pm) • slinger (Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:29 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: Home Visit

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Get togethers like this can be an exercise in psychology as much as an exercise in comparative listening.

Because the listening test results lead him towards changing his mindset / beliefs / views on hi-fi.
There's a whole host of emotional factors that can come into play in these scenarios...
And humans are primarily emotional when it comes to their decision making.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
CN211276 (Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:45 am)

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I think initially he felt outside his comfort zone as the semi-omnidirectional presentation would have been something he had not experienced before. Later on he commented that he was hearing things he had not heard before. Initially he said that his Spendors had greater bass extension but this seemed to change on another one of his favourite tracks with the volume turned up. He was very impressed by the clout and oomph.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
Lindsayt (Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:25 am)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Enthusiast get-togethers are the antidote to the nonsense that the industry sometimes spouts...

👍
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 2):
NSNO2021 (Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:38 pm) • CycleCoach (Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:27 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

The biggest difference for me between Spendors and NVA Cubes, isn't down to the omni-directional nature.
It's down to having undersized woofers in ported boxes vs OKish sized woofers in sealed boxes.
As well as the choice of tweeters.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

savvypaul wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:10 am Enthusiast get-togethers are the antidote to the nonsense that the industry sometimes spouts...

👍
What do you mean "sometimes"? Surely you mean regularly.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Geoff.R.G wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:21 pm
savvypaul wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:10 am Enthusiast get-togethers are the antidote to the nonsense that the industry sometimes spouts...

👍
What do you mean "sometimes"? Surely you mean regularly.
It's my new 'irrepressibly reasonable' image. Bound to slip, soon enough :lol:
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/