Looking to get a P50mk II with S80 Stereo

All things NVA
Daniel Quinn

Re: Looking to get a P50mk II with S80 Stereo

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

You can buy ev drivers , there expensive but not as expensive as scan speak . Conundrums , conundrums.

Vertigo Spinner
Great Britain

Unread post by Vertigo Spinner »

antonio66 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:44 pm You'll frighten Vertigo away, all that talk of making your own speakers, buying some old tat and then tarting em up, you'll be drawing diagrams and listing all the tools he'll need just to get started :lol:
Do like Savvypaul's recommendations of of Quad 57's and Hersey's though
I won't be making any speakers any time soon, that's for sure! I just want to know that when I am in a position to get the proposed pre/power combo with speaker cables that it will run the speakers I currently have adequately (or better), until such time that I can invest in some speakers that are considered more "audiophile"
savvypaul wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:13 am Welcome to the forum.

The S80 will work fine with most speakers - for better sound quality, avoid models with very complex crossovers and low impedance profiles. Your Pioneers don't break either of those rules, so I would keep them, initially, while you let the NVA combo settle in.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for the welcome. Hopefully my Mordaunt Short Aviano 1XR are a similar level to the Pioneers you mention! I don't have high end equipment, my turntable is a Rega Planar 3 with a Rega Elys 2 MM cart and Rega Fono MK3 pre amp, which is where I want to enjoy my music experience the most with the proposed NVA combo and it will of course get plenty of run-in with my DAB tuner which is generally on all day as background music when I am not at work.
These users thanked the author Vertigo Spinner for the post:
karatestu (Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:55 pm)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

savvypaul wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:13 am Welcome to the forum.

The S80 will work fine with most speakers - for better sound quality, avoid models with very complex crossovers and low impedance profiles. Your Pioneers don't break either of those rules, so I would keep them, initially, while you let the NVA combo settle in.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for the welcome. Hopefully my Mordaunt Short Aviano 1XR are a similar level to the Pioneers you mention! I don't have high end equipment, my turntable is a Rega Planar 3 with a Rega Elys 2 MM cart and Rega Fono MK3 pre amp, which is where I want to enjoy my music experience the most with the proposed NVA combo and it will of course get plenty of run-in with my DAB tuner which is generally on all day as background music when I am not at work.
[/quote]

Not sure where I got 'pioneers' from, lol.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Someone give the guy some simple, straightforward advice - or he'll think we are all complete nutters.

:banana-jumprope:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

r3xj0hn570n
Norfolk Island

Unread post by r3xj0hn570n »

Vertigo Spinner wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:38 pm Thank you for the welcome. Hopefully my Mordaunt Short Aviano 1XR are a similar level to the Pioneers you mention! I don't have high end equipment, my turntable is a Rega Planar 3 with a Rega Elys 2 MM cart and Rega Fono MK3 pre amp, which is where I want to enjoy my music experience the most with the proposed NVA combo and it will of course get plenty of run-in with my DAB tuner which is generally on all day as background music when I am not at work.
I had a quick look at your speakers. They seem to be metal cone drivers, with some resonance control ridges. Usually metal cone drivers need complex crossovers unless there are some mitigating features to mechanically control top end cone resonances. It's impossible to tell how complex the crossover is without seeing either a schematic or the impedance plot.

Either way, the NVA amps should run cool and are a great choice for being left on all the time. The amplifiers i have are barely warm at all.

If and when you feel like twiddling with your speakers, ripping out resonant bits of the crossover and directly damping the cone is still an option with these speakers, just not in the same way as previously mentioned.

DaveyTed
Great Britain

Unread post by DaveyTed »

As a fairly recent convert to an NVA "starter system" may I suggest just enjoy the new amplifification first and worry about speaker synergy if and when you hear the need. Prior to the NVA purchase I had already gone down the full range, single driver speaker route so don't need to question what type cross-overs present an easy/suitable load.
These users thanked the author DaveyTed for the post (total 2):
CycleCoach (Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:54 pm) • antonio66 (Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:52 am)

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

My advice:
Get the amps.
Listen.
Take your time.
Hear what's better, and don't be in too much of a rush to "change everything."
These users thanked the author CycleCoach for the post (total 4):
DaveyTed (Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:07 pm) • Vertigo Spinner (Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:20 pm) • antonio66 (Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:52 am) • TheRealAleman (Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:28 pm)
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Come on quit the speaker compatibility bollocks. I've got a 'S80' driving 86dB bookshelf speakers in a smallish room and they go loud. It all really depends on room size and what volumes you like listening at. Efficient speaker or very powerful amp may be needed in a large space listening to Heavy Metal at over 90dB! Pretty sure NVA amp will go loud enough with all but the most difficult speaker loads and within reasonable limits of room size and listening requirements.
These users thanked the author Classicrock for the post:
antonio66 (Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:53 am)
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Vertigo Spinner
Great Britain

Unread post by Vertigo Spinner »

Classicrock wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:03 pm Come on quit the speaker compatibility bollocks. I've got a 'S80' driving 86dB bookshelf speakers in a smallish room and they go loud. It all really depends on room size and what volumes you like listening at. Efficient speaker or very powerful amp may be needed in a large space listening to Heavy Metal at over 90dB! Pretty sure NVA amp will go loud enough with all but the most difficult speaker loads and within reasonable limits of room size and listening requirements.
It was a genuine question which I thought I'd ask on the home forum for the NVA brand which was prompted from looking at their website for the amp in question:

https://nvahifi.co.uk/products/nva-s80- ... -amplifier

"Fabulously musical, and if you have efficient, easy to drive speakers, this could be all you ever need"

I'm an electronics retard with zero clue about how speakers work and what is supposedly efficient or easy to drive, so sought an opinion on the speakers I currently have with a view to upgrade when fiscal conditions allow. I like to listen to my music at a reasonable level that won't trouble a sound pressure meter, and happy to leave the ear splitting sound levels to the pre-puescent adolescents. I guess I am favouring quality over quantity when it comes to the sound and volume of my chosen music, so the volume control isn't going to be turned too far clockwise 👍

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

The Mordaunt Shorts will work fine.

Hopefully, the thread has also provided a range of ideas, if and when you decide to change speakers at some time in the future.

We ended the Starter System offer on the website because of the large increases to parts and shipping costs in the past few months...but we can put you a system together with stock that we bought prior to those increases. PM me or contact me via mail@hfsaudio.co.uk and we can talk through the possibilities.

Paul
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 3):
Vertigo Spinner (Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:32 pm) • antonio66 (Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:54 am) • CycleCoach (Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:17 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/