The New Statement

All things NVA
Wonfor14
Great Britain

The New Statement

Unread post by Wonfor14 »

I have just seen this on Facecrap, it does look smart well done.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Re: The New Statement

Unread post by terrybooth »

The Future Statement as it was called.

The box at the bottom is a power supply with two output voltages (can't remember exactly what, something like 5v and 12v to suit the box at the top). The box at the top is a fanless PC with solid state hard disk and a cd drive in it. As supplied, it had windows 10 and a copy of some media library and playback software. You could play direct from the CD player but more useful was to use the software to rip CDs and store them on a disk somewhere. I believe there were around 20 produced and I have one.

However, as you will see from my sig, I've moved on.
These users thanked the author terrybooth for the post (total 2):
CycleCoach (Mon May 31, 2021 1:21 pm) • Wonfor14 (Mon May 31, 2021 6:55 pm)
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

It's a wonderful piece of NVA history if nothing else. Today's streaming solutions may have far outstripped it, but they don't look half as tasty.
These users thanked the author slinger for the post:
Wonfor14 (Mon May 31, 2021 6:55 pm)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

terrybooth wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:38 pm However, as you will see from my sig, I've moved on.
Any particular reason for you moving on?

And have you moved on to something that sounds better, in the hi-fi Pi??
Or something that's nearly as good and is cheaper / more reliable?

Wonfor14
Great Britain

Unread post by Wonfor14 »

Looks great well done.

Theo
Great Britain

Unread post by Theo »

That’s a picture I took of my TFS before returning it to NVA towers. It gave me lots of pleasure but was a bit ‘hair shirt’ in approach : it requires more user input into getting it to work well than I was willing to give it. I wanted a simpler life 😁

It remains a fabulous sounding piece of kit though.
These users thanked the author Theo for the post:
Colin Wonfor (Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:08 am)
T/T: Trio L-07D/Benz Glider; Dynavector DV507 MK II/Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Phono: Whest PS30R SE. CDPs: Esoteric UX-1; Micromega Classic Solo; Oppo BDP-95. Digital: Cambridge CXN V2. R2R: Technics RS-1700. Amps: Exposure MCX Pre/4 x Exposure XVI Mono Power. Speakers: Jamo R909; Audiosmile Supertweeters Mk.2. Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-1000W. Mains: NVA BMU

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Lindsayt wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:41 pm
terrybooth wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:38 pm However, as you will see from my sig, I've moved on.
Any particular reason for you moving on?

And have you moved on to something that sounds better, in the hi-fi Pi??
Or something that's nearly as good and is cheaper / more reliable?
Moved on because I started experimenting with the Pi and DAC boards. Sonically, I found little to choose between them. However, because the TFS is based on a PC, you need some sort of Keyboard/Video/Mouse replacement to use it whereas the Pi - or rather the software which runs on it, has little need of them - only to set them up in the first place.

Maybe one day I'll get a version with separate power supplies (the TFS split the power supply for the PC from the power supply for the sound board) which might change the sound.
These users thanked the author terrybooth for the post:
Lindsayt (Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:37 pm)
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

terrybooth wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:28 am Maybe one day I'll get a version with separate power supplies (the TFS split the power supply for the PC from the power supply for the sound board) which might change the sound.
I would be very surprised if separating the PSUs for Computer and Sound didn't change the sound.

Docfoster
Wales

Unread post by Docfoster »

I had one of these for several years, as part of an all NVA system (with a P90SA, TSS mk3 and Cube 1s. IIRC SSP interconnects and LS6 speaker cable).
I liked the TFS, and all the other gear very much, musically and cosmetically.

The TFS could operate with no moving parts (a heat sink and an SSD for the motherboard), and the ASUS Xonar soundcard was very good for the price.
The disc drive in mine was actually Bluray, which back then (over 10 years ago) was a necessity for me, as about 25% of the time I use my system for watching movies.

I love JRiver Media Player that came installed with the TFS. Yes, it can be a bit hairshirt, but another way of looking at that is that it is an incredibly powerful and useful piece of software with many tools and facilities. A bit like a digital version of a TT ;-)

In the end, I moved on from the TFS. Mainly because I found that the abilities of the motherboard (I think a Asus AT4NM10-I...?) were overtaken by the demands of modern internet use, and specifically of HD video streaming. So, when my TFS developed a fault a few years back I decided not to mend it and instead evolve my approach to digital audio. (In fact, I think I gave the whole thing away on here. To Mevyn I think...? Hopefully he's cannibalised it in some useful way.)

The TFS left a legacy with me though: I still use JRiver. And I so loved the humble ASUS Xonar soundcard, that I've moved up their chain of DACs.
Looks-wise though, nothing has been as attractive as the TFS.
These users thanked the author Docfoster for the post (total 2):
Lindsayt (Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:37 pm) • antonio66 (Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:42 am)
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.
LC Audio Technology mains DC filter > Sovereign MTBPS balanced power supply
TQ (Wonfor) Ultra Black cables.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers