AP10H and inline attenuators

All things NVA
Bernard Quatermass
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

AP10H and inline attenuators

Unread post by Bernard Quatermass »

Earlier this year I mentioned on here that I purchased an AP10H but found it was too loud, meaning that I couldn't turn up the volume beyond 9 o'clock with my Sennheiser HD650 headphones. Any more than that and it was getting into hearing damage territory. I also commented that I found it was lacking in bass.

Richard replied and suggested I sent it back for a simple fix to adjust the sensitivity which would sort both the volume and bass issues. I never got around to it. As he's sadly no longer with us I thought I might try some inline attenuators. Rothwell make them and they're on ebay for £38.99. They come in 10, 15 or 20 dB attenuation levels. Would this work and if so what attenuation level do people think I should get? I'm tempted to go for the middle range 15dB model.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: AP10H and inline attenuators

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

You'd get the levels reduced on the volume control certainly so you could use more of it's range.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Quarknosis

Unread post by Quarknosis »

My experience is that you would also get a reduction in sound quality too. If I remember correctly they are just a resistor inside an in/out Phono plug. You might be better with something like the P20 between source and AP10H from sound quality perspective.
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Rothwell attenuators will degrade the sound

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Once we get the new company up and running, Tomasz will give you a quote to adjust the sensitivity.

The Rothwells do degrade the sound - I have a pair here that I was using to 'tame' a very sensitive line input on a Sugden amp. You're welcome to try them...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Bernard Quatermass
Has thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by Bernard Quatermass »

I'll wait for the new company to get going and get it modified, there's no rush. Thanks for the info.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

savvypaul wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:18 am Once we get the new company up and running, Tomasz will give you a quote to adjust the sensitivity.

The Rothwells do degrade the sound - I have a pair here that I was using to 'tame' a very sensitive line input on a Sugden amp. You're welcome to try them...
Same goes for the Russ Andrews attenuated cables for CD. Much better off without them though this isn't so much an issue with modern amps. I will shut up now because I want to sell one :mrgreen: .
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

wallace47
Great Britain

Unread post by wallace47 »

No help whatsoever i expect,but i use an AP10 and going from a pair of senns to some grado rs1's was like moving my chair from the carpark to the front seat in the auditorium,just my findings after many years of headphone buying.Like i said,no help to you.Cheers.
Revox B795 Phono1 AP70 LS5 Royd Minstrels ,AP10 Royd Conistons Grado RS1 E-Dac..

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Wallace, it's always good to hear from you, relevancy is overrated.