P50 Stepped attenuators

All things NVA
_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: P50 Stepped attenuators

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Thing is, look what's in the gear upstream and downstream of this sodding attenuator! Also the distortion the source and amp puts in, let alone the speakers and whatever they're doing. A couple of sodding resistors ain't going to transform or ruin anything I'm sure - and if metal films took fillings out compared to carbon types, I'm certain something else was going on as well as this. Maybe the metal films allowed ringing the carbons didn't - no idea. In this case, the amp will almost certainly dominate what's going on and anyway, the first thing the +ve signal sees when it gets to the circuit board is a couple of 1/4W metal film resistors!
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Hannes-Gregor
Germany

Unread post by Hannes-Gregor »

1/2W!

Ali Tait

Unread post by Ali Tait »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:06 pm Thing is, look what's in the gear upstream and downstream of this sodding attenuator! Also the distortion the source and amp puts in, let alone the speakers and whatever they're doing. A couple of sodding resistors ain't going to transform or ruin anything I'm sure - and if metal films took fillings out compared to carbon types, I'm certain something else was going on as well as this. Maybe the metal films allowed ringing the carbons didn't - no idea. In this case, the amp will almost certainly dominate what's going on and anyway, the first thing the +ve signal sees when it gets to the circuit board is a couple of 1/4W metal film resistors!
System remained the same other than changing the resistors Dave, so how do you then explain the difference in sound?

Try shunting any of the pots you have with various resistors. If you haven’t tried it before, you will be very surprised how much difference there is between resistors.

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

Ali Tait wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:32 pm
Try shunting any of the pots you have with various resistors. If you haven’t tried it before, you will be very surprised how much difference there is between resistors.
Shunting a "normal" potentiometer with quality resistors (2) can be seriously beneficial. :)

http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/sh ... php?t=5795

http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/sh ... php?t=6885

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

I've used the charcrofts (9 quid apiece iirc) as the shunt on a khozmo stepper and they were very smooth compared to the amrg amtrans that they usually come with. Ime they were worth it. Be aware you will lose some gain as you have added a permenant series resistance in line with the input and put the pot in the earth side of the potential divider you have formed
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Ali Tait

Unread post by Ali Tait »

valvesRus wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:13 pm
Ali Tait wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:32 pm
Shunting a "normal" potentiometer with quality resistors (2) can be seriously beneficial. :)

http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/sh ... php?t=5795

http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/sh ... php?t=6885
Yep, well worth a try.

29mile

Unread post by 29mile »

Apologies for hijacking this thread but does anyone know if it is possible to fit a stepped attenuator into a AP80 ?
I know Richard always said room was extremely tight in the AP80 so suspect it may be diffcult to do.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

That would entirely be dependant on who you got to fit it, their level of skill and level of bullshit.

Ed345
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Ed345 »

I've got an AP80 with a stepped attenuator, so it is possible. It is a very full box though it may or may not fit depending on the specific switch and the exact layout of the power supply.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I'd recommend leaving well alone just for now. The 70 and probably the 80 have large finned plate heat-sinks inside taking up some height and it would be a royal pain to try to un-stick them and move them back, assuming there'd be any space. The stock cheap pot isn't as bad sonically as it looks visually - honestly it isn't.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...