BMU con fused?

All things NVA
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: BMU con fused?

Unread post by savvypaul »

I have an 8 way mains extension block running from my BMU. 4 monoblocks, 2 phono stage supplies, turntable, dac. No problem.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I have an eight socket adaptor connected to mine which connects the rest of the hifi and the computer. The other three sockets of the BMU are taken by the A80s and Phono 1.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

ArloFlynn
Ireland

Unread post by ArloFlynn »

Thanks everyone for the confirmations. Good to know my couple of source will not be a problem added to the BMU.

Dan - My source is a Technics SL1210 record player (I like playing records best) It was what I had to hand a few years back when I got into this ''Hifi' thing and serves the purpose very well. Also there is an average but adequate Cambridge CD player, held together with elastic bands.
I have not trodden any other paths as yet, but intend to try Streaming at some future point, looking to replace CD.
Kevin.

No Valves - Technics SL1210/Jelco/DL103 (vdh) - Phono2 - P50SA - A70's - Cubettes
Valves - Cambridge CD - World Designs Pre3 - WAD 6550 - Troels Gravesen CA18rnx speakers.

keepitsimplestupid
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by keepitsimplestupid »

How many fuses do you have in your bmu. As neutral and live are now plus and minus live, each line should be fused. The one fuse on live in the items plugged into them only does half a job now, so you really need a breaker or a fuse on each line.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

keepitsimplestupid wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:09 pm How many fuses do you have in your bmu. As neutral and live are now plus and minus live, each line should be fused. The one fuse on live in the items plugged into them only does half a job now, so you really need a breaker or a fuse on each line.
If you have taken any notice of Richard's posts on the subject you would realise that you don't actually need any fuses beyond that in the connection to the mains supply. The BMU with round pin plugs is perfectly legal and doesn't have the option for fuses.

applemarc

Unread post by applemarc »

Just to confirm I use 15amp plugs from my wall sockets to all my kit my BMU is fitted with 15amp sockets also so the only fuse I have is on a dedicated Consumer Unit.

This has been inspected by an electrician who was quite happy with the install although he could not understand why I have it separated from the ring main although he like the sound.
Beresford Caiman Ipod

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

I have a 13 amp plug going into a wall socket. (not got that dedicated consumer unit in yet!). The BMU is 15 amp sockets and I have used a mixture of junction boxes and 4 gang adapters to feed the amps, preamps, pi power supply and turntable.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

I have my BMU plugged into a 15A BS546 round pin wall socket which is fed by a dedicated radial from the consumer unit, all audio equipment is fed by the BMU and protected by a 10A MCB.
I had to install a thermistor to limit inrush in order to prevent the MCB tripping though!

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

keepitsimplestupid

Unread post by keepitsimplestupid »

Geoff I understand that it's perfectly legal. But theres still the potential for half mains current to flow inside a connected device without blowing the fuse on the bmu-wall cable. This is true for any BMU without rcd on both live wires.

Ed345

Unread post by Ed345 »

All a fuse does is protect the cable to the wall. It means you can save money by using thin cables for lamps etc and put in a 3amp fuse to protect them.
I live in a country without any fuses, every plug socket is on a 10amp MCB and all cables have to capable of 10amp.