Plastic

All things NVA
setting son
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Plastic

Unread post by setting son »

I think a big part of it is that manufacturers, and hence consumers, haven’t caught up with the capabilities of modern adhesives and so chunky aluminium panels bolted together are perceived as quality. Most of it is just eye candy to try and justify the ridiculous prices.

zebbo
Great Britain

Re: Plastic

Unread post by zebbo »

Geoff.R.G wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:53 pm
zebbo wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:09 pm
Geoff.R.G wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:32 pm
Why, pray, should Hi-Fi be heavy? OK so my tape deck weighs in at 25Kg, and that has a plastic case but with a 1/4" thick aluminium front panel and three large motors. As far as I am concerned Light = Good in most applications, transformers add enough weight in most cases.
George, you're missing Slinger's point, I think, which is that many people's perception of quality is if it's heavy it must be good.
Who's George? Yes of course there are people who equate weight with quality and in some cases they are right. A flywheel that isn't heavy enough won't do its job properly. However when electronics get heavy it is usually because someone has piled in too many components and used a case that would look good on a crash protected recorder but has no place anywhere else.
Ha! Yes, sorry George.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol: