Metrum onyx DAC and NVA amps

All things NVA
Lazmo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Jamaica

Re: Metrum onyx DAC and NVA amps

Unread post by Lazmo »

Thank you very much to Nick for testing the Metrum Onyx and finding no faults with the unit your time and effort is very much appreciated .
The LARGE print giveth - and the small print taketh away.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Well *something* is causing it, so far *something* has killed A100's, A80's and A40's, and killed amps have taken out some drive units as well. I cannot go on for ever I am in severe loss making situation already. It would be cheaper for me to just refund.

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

The only thing I noted was that there was no output filter on the DAC, but I dont think that would have any impact on the amp. It won't be the only dac that did that.
Attachments
1kHz Full Scale
1kHz Full Scale
a.gif (14.26 KiB) Viewed 4108 times

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

My cdp has no output filter and nothing bad has happened with my nva amp boards
DIY FREE ZONE

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

In this video review of the Pi / Allo DigiOne board. Dutch Hifi commentator Hans Beekhuyzen has identified a problem caused by switching wall-wart power supplies causing disturbances in the rest of the system.

Starting at 5.18

Allo DigiOne SPDIF board for Raspberry Pi

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I am very worried about the designs of these new DACs, it is not co-incidence I now have another problem. When BMU used DAC starts breaking up and misbehaving, take BMU out problem stops. So obvious choice run the DAC on the wall socket and the rest of the system on the BMU - DAC still starts to miss behave. :angry-fire:

BTW this is at a customer not here my VERY SIMPLE cheap Chinese DAC has no problems with BMU or seemingly anything.

Lurcher300b

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:23 am I am very worried about the designs of these new DACs, it is not co-incidence I now have another problem. When BMU used DAC starts breaking up and misbehaving, take BMU out problem stops. So obvious choice run the DAC on the wall socket and the rest of the system on the BMU - DAC still starts to miss behave. :angry-fire:

BTW this is at a customer not here my VERY SIMPLE cheap Chinese DAC has no problems with BMU or seemingly anything.
If thats the chap using a MDAC via one of my power supplies, I have asked him to check the voltage out of the BMU as the voltage out of the power supply makes me think that its got a low mains voltage input which is causing the regulated supply to fall out of regulation.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Yes he has a low voltage transformer as I have found them best. So I now match the secondary to the low point in UK mains as so many people seems to be over voltage. I have one guy consistently at 248v. I am aiming now for 215 / 220v for 240v in. If you order primary and secondary to be the same then you fall foul of the regulation which boosts out voltage by about 10v.

If that is the problem I can swop for a higher secondary voltage one as I can do 120/120 or 115/115 or 110/110 or even in extreme cases 100/100. It is almost becoming me sorting out the voltage feeds being all over the place.

Lurcher300b

then you fall foul of the regulation which boosts out voltage by about 10v
But only off load.
I am aiming now for 215 / 220v for 240v in
Ok, but if thats the off load voltage, then fully loaded that would be 194/198

Worst case if they had 220v on their line, that would give 178v/182v fully loaded.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Doesn't do that as a hi-fi doesn't load a 1000va transformer, the regulation always seems to be there. I have measured when listening to music and not connected and the difference is 1 or 2v.

But as I say if that is the problem then I will swop his one for a higher voltage one. For me here I prefer the lower voltage one, and it doesn't bother anything NVA, as interest once I ran a 240v amp on 120v and it worked fine, it was just clipping came in earlier as the voltage rails had halved, so problems depend on design.