A80 MkI experiences

All things NVA
eagwok33
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

A80 MkI experiences

Unread post by eagwok33 »

Finally, here are my impressions of listening to music with the NVA A80 MkI amps, which I purchased from Richard this summer:

The A80 MkI monos look very elegant in their black MkI acrylic cases and are definitely quiet, when connected to my 98dB efficient horn ls system. That is a big plus! :) In comparison, the NVA A20x in my system – as previously reported - produces a constant although low-level buzz, which can distract a bit from the musical enjoyment this little amp is capable of. During the day it is hardly noticeable, in the evenings though, when the noise level from the street and surroundings gets lower, the low-level buzz influences my musical enjoyment of the A20x.

A80 vs. A20x:
The A80 monos are overall in a different league with regard to their ability to reproduce recorded music. To my ears they are a marked step-up from the A20x in my enjoyment of my vinyl and CD collection. The A20x sounds more forward and nervous in my system in comparison and although very lively can’t connect me emotionally as much to the music played as the A80s do, when played at modest and higher volume levels (I come to this below). To be fair, when you consider the price difference (£1100 difference compared to a MkII pair), the - no longer made - A20x is definitely a very fine and entertaining amp and imo a big positive surprise for the money!

Back to the A80 monos: They present the music more effortless and with enjoyable rhythm and flow, which can trigger foot-tapping. (If you like African music and its rhythms, the LP of “Youssou NDour – Cheikh Lô Né La Thiass” will most likely cause it) :)

It is fun to listen to various kinds of music with the A80s in the system and just enjoy the music and the energetic performance of these amps. I often find myself listening to music louder than normal, as these amps shine in my system with the volume cranked up more. You know the kind of thing, when you start playing air-guitar listening to an awesome guitar solo 8-) (Jeff Beck – Brush with the Blues from the CD “Who Else!” for example)

Due to this quality, I listen to more Rock, Reggae and African music as well as drum and guitar solos with modest and higher volume levels lately and enjoy the driving rhythms of this music. The amps also have a great way in portraying the reproduced music in my room, with a more wide than deep presentation. Well recorded acoustic instruments sound natural with a kind of 3D feel to them. Voices are – when the recording quality is at least decent – presented very clear and the text of songs is easy to follow. One way for me to tell if an amplifier has a special quality, is its ability to involve me in listening when sitting in an adjoining room (for example working on the computer) with the door to my music room closed. With the A80 monos in my system, reproduced music is enjoyable and has energy, also when I’m not directly in the room!

Interestingly, and I assume due to the high-efficient partnering speakers, the A80 monos perform less impressive, when I listen at lower to low volume levels, for example later at night (preamp used with the A80s is my NVA P50sa). Then the music played has less contrast, less “color”, is a bit “harsher” sounding and does not grab me emotionally as much as when the same songs are played with modest or higher volume through my system. It feels as if the amps are playing a bit out of their “comfort zone”, when the attenuation on the P50sa is used too much. Keep in mind, these amps have not been designed in the first place to be the perfect partner for a 98dB efficient full range horn ls-system. (Will be interesting what Richard has to say in this regard). After having them for some weeks now, powered up 24/7, the amps improved noticeably at the late night volume setting and are now very enjoyable during such listening sessions.

That said, for the ultimate low-level music enjoyment with my horn ls-system and in my room, I prefer the magic of my flea-powered SE 2A3 tube monos and of my solid state DIY First Watt M2 amp. Of these two, it is the M2 which speaks to my soul more when played at listening levels the A80 monos love. Reproduced music has – to my ears – more “intimacy” and “fullness.” I feel more connected to the music and touched by it, with my M2 clone amp in the system than with the excellent NVA monos. The M2 makes me hum more with the songs I love (Marc Cohn, “Ghost Train” from his debut LP for example). The differences are small, but noticeable, when you listen for a longer time with either amp in the system.

M2 and A80 monos have their own signatures. The A80 monos are a bit “cleaner” sounding, and acoustic instruments sound a bit dryer and less colorful compared to the M2. The verve and energy of music are portrayed excellently with the monos. The M2 reproduces music with more air around the instruments, which completely lets the speakers disappear, when you listen with your eyes closed. To put it differently, with the M2, I feel more relaxed enjoying my music.

Keep in mind, however, that most of the Nelson Pass designed First Watt amps cost in the range of $3,000 to $4,000 new. The A80 monos (a pair of the latest MkII version costs £1,400) are wonderful amplifiers with plenty of musical enjoyment factor, and they represent superb value for the money. I assume the more so when mated to less (standard) efficient loudspeakers.
Clearly, this does not come as a surprise to you here in this forum, as many of you experienced the musical qualities of NVA products long before I did.

Paired with my horn ls system, the M2 is more versatile as it works great with active preamps and passive ones like the NVA P50sa. The monos really shine partnered with a passive pre (in my case P50sa) as this is what they primarily were designed for. Going this way, you will save plenty of cash for buying more music on vinyl or CD or investing more in a computer-based music system. A nice extra bonus!

Thanks to Richard for producing such fine amplifiers for real down-to-earth prices. :clap:

Considering what I paid for this used pair (of the A80 MkI version), I am very happy with these amps. Besides, they are great amps for the summer time as they run pretty cool compared to what I’m used to. Most important though, they reproduce music in a great way and I tend to play them – apologies to my neighbors - loud! :shock:
Norbert

Tubes and Vinyl rule, Music rocks! :icon-wink: