NVA Phono 2

All things NVA
Firebottle
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

NVA2

Unread post by Firebottle »

I've given the NVA2 a run for its money and can conclude it is a pretty decent stage for an op-amp based design.

It was a good design choice to use passive EQ for the upper registers and feedback EQ for the lower registers, I think that achieves the best result when using op-amps and gives a commendably low noise performance.
I personally would have fitted a 47K resistor in place of the 68K feedback resistor to give a flat RIAA response, and probably ditched the 47uF tanatlum capacitor that gives the rumble filter function.

With this quality of kit I prefer to not limit the bass frequency extension, relying on a superior quality turntable.

Ultimately for my tastes a valve based phono stage gives a greater openness to the sound, I have designed op-amp based stages myself and there is a solid state 'hue' to the sound, though the NVA2 is good in this respect but can't hide its SS underpinnings.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: NVA2

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Now give me one of yours so I can make up loads of dissing crap about it !

Customers who own the P2 will tell you what an arse you are.

I don't put up with competitors coming onto my NVA forum to play games, so the thread will be removed when members here have had a good laugh and you have been shown up enough, or I may leave it up just to show future readers who you are.

Firebottle
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Firebottle »

I am not dissing it Richard, just that the response doesn't match RIAA.
There is a definite difference in presentation between SS and valve based stages.

It's a good phono stage.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

MCRU has had his unit back, send or bring him yours for a re-run of the Uddersfield bake off at his next Yorkshire Hi-Fi Club meet. Let real people without a marketing axe to grind give their opinions - AGAIN!

You have investigated with what, do you realise how inacurate your measurements are, what was the reference. RIAA is a filter they are all inacurate and inacuracies will change as from used normally i.e. listening to music or connected to a test rig. When designed it was flat within RIAA *accepted* tolerances and I am not going to waste my time doing it again, nothing has changed - the only thing changed here is your agenda.

You have an opinion, I disagree, customers will make their own choice - reality always outs - send it to the next Uddersfield meet if you have the balls.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

All future marketing dissing shite from Fireybum will be removed, but other members can comment - we will wait and see if he has the balls to send it to the MCRU next meet up.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Alan, you must be very confident. You've gone from being comfortably beaten by the NVA less than a year ago to lecturing here on the finer aspects of phono stage design. You really will have to honour the bake-off you requested...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It is also obvious he has ignored the *legal* warnings on the case about removing covers, if that unit appears here at any time it will be *confiscated* and I will see him in court.

* a bill will be made that equals or exceeds the new value of the unit for any repair.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

The OP smacks of desperation. :lol: it would not be allowed on AOS. :lol:
It is a shill/spam, call it what you like, but not a review.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

savvypaul wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:41 pm Alan, you must be very confident. You've gone from being comfortably beaten by the NVA less than a year ago to lecturing here on the finer aspects of phono stage design. You really will have to honour the bake-off you requested...
He has posted on AOS about attending a bake off in Coventry on 26 August. Perfect opportunity. Or will Il Dulcie intervene again. :lol:
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Feedback resistors, 47uF tanatlum capacitor, passive EQ for the upper registers and feedback EQ for the lower registers, .............eh?
I just listened to it and it sounded great. :grin:
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol: