New NVA member

All things NVA
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: New NVA member

Unread post by savvypaul »

Andy-831 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:39 pm Pete

The best bang for buck in speakers currently seem to be the Qacoustic range. Great speakers for not a lot of money, although to qualify that I have never actually heard a pair hung off an NVA amp.

I use a small pair of 3020 with a Quad 606 amp and they perform well beyond their pricepoint in my second system.

I also adore Klipsch Heresy speakers if you like a bit of fun they are complete hooligans in a really nice way, you can get some really good holographic imaging with them too if you get them set up correctly.

In saying all that I have never actually heard your Kefs, maybe they will respond nicely to new amps?

Savvy says change the lot in one go, I am always a bit more cautious and like to change a bit at a time.

Andy
Hi Andy, send me your tips about setting up the Heresys, mate...I just picked up a s/h pair of the mk3.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Andy-831
Great Britain

Unread post by Andy-831 »

The important thing is to get them off the floor and onto the tilted riser. If you don't have the actual risers available then a couple of books under the front lip just to tilt the box backwards slightly (maybe 2 to 3 inches) will do the trick you can always buy/make a simple riser later, its only a bit of shaped plywood or mdf. Its a few years since I owned a pair but If my memory is not playing tricks I prefer them with their backs to the wall and not too far apart try about 4 foot to start with.

Now play some music and get midway between them sat on the floor with the drivers equidistant from your lugs and be prepared for the most incredible holographic experience. If you "don't get it" try edging them away from the wall a few inches at a time until you do.

Let me know how you get on :grin:

(I have owned two pairs an early pair of Mk 1 that are still in my garage roof in need of a bit of crossover attention, and a pair of Mk 1.5 which were sort of a mid upgrade between the Mk1 and Mk2)
Analogue
401 / PU7 / AT33ev
Longdog Audio Quartz Garrard PSU.
Longdog Audio Phono stage (MCj1)
Digital
NVA BMU.
Innuos Zen / Caiman Seg and Dorado
Cambridge CXC
Amps
Tron Seven Linestage.
Bel Canto Set 40, or LDA 300B Set Monoblocks
Speakers
Tannoy GRF Memory.
Tannoy ST100 Supertweeters

Andy-831
Great Britain

Unread post by Andy-831 »

Paul remember too they are very efficient and only need a watt or two up em (I used to use mine with a Flea power Decware amp knocking out a full 1.8w on full output lol and they were plenty loud enough)
Analogue
401 / PU7 / AT33ev
Longdog Audio Quartz Garrard PSU.
Longdog Audio Phono stage (MCj1)
Digital
NVA BMU.
Innuos Zen / Caiman Seg and Dorado
Cambridge CXC
Amps
Tron Seven Linestage.
Bel Canto Set 40, or LDA 300B Set Monoblocks
Speakers
Tannoy GRF Memory.
Tannoy ST100 Supertweeters

AudioRecruit
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by AudioRecruit »

Hi

I almost went klipsch for my home cinema, I got KK quattros in the end as you just can’t beat the ken sound with movies.

I’ll give the cubes some thought, I think I’d need a demo first before committing, it may not be the sound I like until I’ve heard it..

Thoughts so far...

P50sa (I can see me upgrading sooner than later and want the inputs
A20
LR2
SC
Audiolab DAC
Audiolab CDM
Kefs for now but looking at bookshelves

Cheers
Last edited by AudioRecruit on Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hemmo1969
Ukraine

Unread post by Hemmo1969 »

Hi fella,

I can tell you wherever you start, you will never have heard as much music in your system then with NVA

Shamanic
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Shamanic »

I had Heresy's for years before moving on to Klipschorns. Used them with low powered valve amps and they sounded great.
I used them in the corners about 10 feet apart with no problem imaging etc. Mind you I live in an old Welsh farmhouse with thick solid stone walls which helped no end probably