A20 love

All things NVA
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: A20 love

Unread post by karatestu »

If you want to keep it I would have Alfi look at it and fit some of his "in sole" spring replacements.
DIY FREE ZONE

alfafan123
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by alfafan123 »

The OP's experience chimes with mine (I love my P20/A20) although I haven't invested as heavily in Linn and Naim gear and now don't own any.I think there are similar parallels in life e.g. expensive cars etc all of which seem to offer an inverse correlation of fun/enjoyment to cost. As possessions get more expensive it seems to me they possess us somehow.

So I take my hat off to companies that offer stuff that is truly good and also fun without costing the earth.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

CycleCoach wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:57 pm
That's the plan, but what should I do with that LP12 I wonder? :think:
As Guy said below.
guydarryl wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:28 pm :happy-jumpeveryone: use it with NVA - quite delightful
NVA is the best thing he could have done for his audio enjoyment but his LP12 can still be made to perform better.
karatestu wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:41 am If you want to keep it I would have Alfi look at it and fit some of his "in sole" spring replacements.

Indeed Stu, if CC wishes to keep your album collection, ditch the springs because they spoil the party - they are just there to top up their slurping dealer's coffers. Then look for a better sub chassis/arm-board.

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I believe the springs to be there because that's how Thorens did it in the TD150. Ivor may have snatched the design from the Ariston people, but the RD11 itself owes its very existence to the TD150 imo...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

You are probably correct Dave.

I have found they affect note stability, especially piano. Get rid = end of many problems.

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:12 pm Save it until 5th Nov and put it on the top of the bonfire :twisted:
I knew you'd say that! :lol:
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Alfi wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:16 am You are probably correct Dave.

I have found they affect note stability, especially piano. Get rid = end of many problems.

Alfi.
I haven't done it so this is pragmatically? based. The main issue with LP12 pitch stability I thought to be the belt drive? properly set up, I didn't feel the suspension shimmied or twisted on the rotational axis - whatever you think of the old fruitbox, Linn worked bloody hard in the mid 80's to get the springs to work in a vertical manner and resist twisting and so on, the anchored tonearm cable helping here to resist lateral motion.

Anyway, I'm wondering if LP12 mods need to be done as a whole, rather than one here and another there?

Why the eff I'm defending this old heavy-duty TD150 I'll never know, but I am drawn in like a red rag to a bull :roll:

When I had my TD125, which puts the mass above the springs, I thought of trying the rubber 'mushrooms' Thorens made available for it. Apparently these weren't as good as the springs in terms of isolation and I recall early disco's used these decks set up this way, so they didn't bounce around...

Apologies (yet again) for the effin' thread drift.

Yep, the A20 is a little bit of low cost magic and I thoroughly enjoy the ones I get to hear ;)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

The main issue with the LP12 is far too much variability in manufactured components and again with assembly/service /set-up skills. Minimise those and it has a chance of performing very well.

The motor/belt pulls across the arm axis instead of along it, something Arthur's mod minimised in repositioning the motor to 07:30.

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.