Acrylic

All things NVA
Chopsaw54
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Acrylic

Unread post by Chopsaw54 »

Gale made their first acrylic turntable in 1974 I think.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I think I am unique using it for box speakers but I am sure someone will tell me I am wrong :mrgreen:

montechristo358
Great Britain

Unread post by montechristo358 »

Do you still steelmline doc?
Bedroom Rig
PiCorePlayer Squeezebox clone, Allo Boss Dac, NVA AP10H with Stepped Attenuator upgrade and external PSU, Audioquest Nightowl Cans, NVA mini BMU

Office Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DIGI+, NVA SSP Digital, Arcam AV9. NVA SSC, NVA AP10P, NVA LS5, NVA Cubettes, NVA Mini BMU

Kitchen Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DAC+, NVA SSC, NVA P50, Project AMPBox, Sonance Ceiling Speakers

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Standard units (from Cube3 up) are 20mm plate they need no lining. Steel lining is for Doc Mods to wooden cabinets. Cubettes are different as they a a price project. They are 5mm acrylic so have to be lined as the old wooden ones were. They are small so don't need to use steel though I have done that with them, my wifes pair I am now selling are steel lined. I use ceramic tiles and lots of gunk on the new ones.

Karnevil9

Unread post by Karnevil9 »

Classicrock wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:19 pm I think Michell were first to use acrylic in turntables followed by Oracle.
Na the IMF '300' turntable from 1975 was Acrylic as was the Gale 'GT2101' also mid 70's That Chops mentioned..Michell did not really build a true Acrylic Turntable till the 'Prisma' around 1977.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

What was the early 70's Transcriptors Reference deck's plinth made of?
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Karnevil9

_D_S_J_R_ wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 3:37 pm What was the early 70's Transcriptors Reference deck's plinth made of?
It was Plywood with Acrylic top board only for cosmetic fancy..

Chopsaw54

It was a beautiful turntable that Gale and it was 1974. I like acrylic for its self damping properties. I've just picked up a big lump of delrin for my next turntable build. 100mm thick which will be reduced to 95mm or so after final machining. With its inherent properties it's likely to be good stuff for loudspeaker cabinets too. I did make a case for one of my phono stages from acrylic sheet cut to size and glued together but I had to line it with copper sheet to keep unwanted noise out.

Karnevil9

Your probably right about 1974 But i dont think it was available till early '75. i have the early review which is 1975.

You still using those TDL Transmissions Chops?

Chopsaw54

Yep, still using the Studio 4s in the upstairs system. TLS80s downstairs.