Up the grade path - SSP or LS5

All things NVA
ArloFlynn
Ireland

Up the grade path - SSP or LS5

Unread post by ArloFlynn »

Hello,

I was thinking of taking advantage of an upgrade before the May price increase.
As I have only been listening to the current system for a month or so, it is a bit premature, but more importantly a money save.
I have an Integrated AP70, Phono2 (1x psu) which will remain, 2 lengths of SSC and 4 meters of LS3.
At some pint over the next 6 months one SSC was going to be upgraded to an SSP (mk2) and LS3 to LS5. Which would be the first in the upgrade Path SSP or LS5, or does it matter not?

Thanks - Kevin
Kevin.

No Valves - Technics SL1210/Jelco/DL103 (vdh) - Phono2 - P50SA - A70's - Cubettes
Valves - Cambridge CD - World Designs Pre3 - WAD 6550 - Troels Gravesen CA18rnx speakers.

Quarknosis

Re: Up the grade path - SSP or LS5

Unread post by Quarknosis »

In my opinion you get a greater difference from the interconnect change than you would from the speaker cable. For me the NVA sound really came together with the SSP mkii.

However I changed the speaker cable first which might have shown the improvement in the interconnect more clearly, but in a headphone system the interconnect change was very worthwhile and although it can't be directly compared seemed greater than my upgrade to LS6 cable in a speaker system. Both are well worth the investment though.

I also have an AP70 and would also recommend the stepped attenuated upgrade after the cable changes if you can.
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Depends! both are good.

ArloFlynn
Ireland

Thanks for the info Quarknosis, Richard.
So SSP it is, order made and 'orders' thread updated . I shall look into speaker wire upgrade at a later date. so far I am enjoying speaker placement fiddling, so the affordable length of LS3 is useful.

Just a side question. If upgrading AP70 to Stepped At. Does it all remain in the same box?

Cheers - Kevin
Kevin.

No Valves - Technics SL1210/Jelco/DL103 (vdh) - Phono2 - P50SA - A70's - Cubettes
Valves - Cambridge CD - World Designs Pre3 - WAD 6550 - Troels Gravesen CA18rnx speakers.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I have binned your thread in orders please read what I put there.

Box has to come back to be modded for SA.

Upgrade is like for like and length for length I cannot cost in trading in a cable twice the length of the one wanted.

ArloFlynn
Ireland

Oops, Sorry.
I Think I have got it now! So it would need to have been a 1.5 mtr length of SSP to do the part ex.
Apologies for confusion and posting in the wrong area.

Kevin.
Kevin.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

In theory, that or longer. I could bend the rules and do two cables but that is all. Think about it, I get all the costs of the new cable and all profit and more wiped out by the refund. Who would do that.

ArloFlynn
Ireland

That's a very nice offer, but no worries, I will stick to my SSP 80cm ebay order and keep both SSC too. It wasn't really a money thing, more of an excess.
I may need them both at some point, and they were a good deal on Black Fri. I can always advertise a set if I need to claw back some pennies.

Thanks Richard. Regards, Kevin.
Kevin.