Advice for forum newcomer and relatively new NVA fan with £1k to spend

All things NVA
guydarryl

Re: Advice for forum newcomer and relatively new NVA fan with £1k to spend

Unread post by guydarryl »

Hi, welcome to the forum.

On your point about being worried about cubes "firing" sound up and annoying neighbours I think that may not be the case.
I have very limited experience of cubes, not even sure which model I heard (Doc was nice enough to put on some music on a pair in his work room while I was at his place having my amp repaired). Small room, relatively low volume but I was impressed with the detail and musical flow.
What I am trying to say is that I don't think you would need to play them at high volume to get satisfaction, unlike "point and squirt" speakers.
If I had enough spare cash, they would be on my list of things to try at home/buy.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

Pianist~Envy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by Pianist~Envy »

guydarryl wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:21 pm Hi, welcome to the forum.

On your point about being worried about cubes "firing" sound up and annoying neighbours I think that may not be the case.
I have very limited experience of cubes, not even sure which model I heard (Doc was nice enough to put on some music on a pair in his work room while I was at his place having my amp repaired). Small room, relatively low volume but I was impressed with the detail and musical flow.
What I am trying to say is that I don't think you would need to play them at high volume to get satisfaction, unlike "point and squirt" speakers.
If I had enough spare cash, they would be on my list of things to try at home/buy.
Thanks!

I think there's been enough said about the Cubes on this thread that I'll just have to have a listen at some point although might have to be a purchase further down the road. I listen at fairly low levels most of the time anyway. Have to say I'm so impressed by the detail and loss of nothing listening at such low levels - I can even listen into the early hours without annoying my wife or the neighbours. :epopc:
"Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." ~ Frederic Chopin

Amps/cables: NVA P50sa (48 step), A40 mk3, LS6, SSP
Digi/source: ARCAM CDS50
PaS: Troels Gravesen Scanspeak Discovery 3-Way Classic (homemade)

Music lover and piano dork.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Cube 2 here for when you come, always on the test rig.

Today the rig has MiniBMU / P50sa / A20 / TSCS / TIS / Phono 1mc / G99 with SPU gold / My cheap DAC with my computer / Sony CDP-S1

Quarknosis

Unread post by Quarknosis »

Hi Pianist-Envy, welcome to HFS. A pro flute player? One of my favourite instruments to listen to but mainly in a jazz setting.

I would echo the recommendations for the P50. I have a P20 and think it is a bit limited in flexibility (but not sound). If I was starting from scratch knowing what I know now I'd probably go P50SA, A20X, LS6 and SSP mkii. Don't forget Doc does 100% trade in so the A20X and SSP could be upgraded if you felt that it needed to be later.

NVA cables are integral to the sound in my experience and over many years of buying hi-Fi I came to the conclusion that expensive cables didn't justify the expense but with NVA each cable upgrade has just enhanced the enjoyment. The LS1 is good but the 6 is way better. I jumped from the 1 to the 6 so couldn't comment on the stages in between. I have gone from SC to SSC to SSP mki to SSP mkii to TIS and again each step has enhanced my enjoyment but for me it was not until the SSP Mkii that it really started to come together.
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

Pianist~Envy
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:50 am Cube 2 here for when you come, always on the test rig.

Today the rig has MiniBMU / P50sa / A20 / TSCS / TIS / Phono 1mc / G99 with SPU gold / My cheap DAC with my computer / Sony CDP-S1
How is weekend 5th/6th May? :whistle:
"Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." ~ Frederic Chopin

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

That is the Durham Bake-off weekend I am trying to get to, so another one please. It will be pressure of work that will stop me going, but I wont know until nearer the time.

Pianist~Envy
Great Britain

A thought: if you did end up going to the bake-off, I wouldn't mind you taking my ARCAM irDAC II... Would be good to see how well it stacks up against the rest. Can drop it off on the Friday, even if the visit is just for that. I'm sure you don't, but don't feel obligated.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I am going by train, if I go, and my hands will be full. The Friday evening of the 4th will be fine if you want to come then.

Pianist~Envy
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:08 pm I am going by train, if I go, and my hands will be full. The Friday evening of the 4th will be fine if you want to come then.
That eve actually isn't good but either of the two following weekends are?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The 12th is fine. Afternoon or evening please.