Advice for forum newcomer and relatively new NVA fan with £1k to spend

All things NVA
Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Advice for forum newcomer and relatively new NVA fan with £1k to spend

Unread post by Fretless »

Best of luck treading the NVA path.

If you look in the 'classifieds' section of the forum there are some speaker leads going cheap - for instance Hemmo has some LS5 up for grabs.

Might be a good place to start.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

Pianist~Envy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by Pianist~Envy »

Thanks Fretless, I'll have a look at the cables over there and keep my eye on that section over the coming weeks. Open to any direct offers too, or if you see anything and can repost a link in this thread.
"Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." ~ Frederic Chopin

Amps/cables: NVA P50sa (48 step), A40 mk3, LS6, SSP
Digi/source: ARCAM CDS50
PaS: Troels Gravesen Scanspeak Discovery 3-Way Classic (homemade)

Music lover and piano dork.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Welcome PE, good to see such enthusiasm from a new member :clap:

I hope you continue to contribute to the forum even when you have nothing to buy.

I can't offer too much guidance as regards the nva hierachy as i have not heard any apart from an AP20 and my diy nva based offerings. I was astounded by the difference the nva cables make so don't under estimate the importance of them. Whatever, you do need nva speaker cables for the amp to be stable.

What would i do with £1000 to spend. I would probably go with the best integrated i could and have enough left for cables - not the entry level cables, something a little higher up the ladder.

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

Pianist~Envy
Great Britain

Thanks Stu. Have a feeling I'll be around for a while because there will always be something to buy!

Loud and clear regarding cables, if you'll excuse the pun.

I've been considering one of the integrateds but there's that visual allure of more separates, aside from the audible benefits they can bring. It wouldn't be a deciding factor, though, so I've taken your suggestion on board. Especially re. cables.
"Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." ~ Frederic Chopin

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Where in London. Just get the train to Albany Park and I will pick you up come and listen here, but it is not a dem room it is a highly disorganised work room, what is on is what is being built.

Weekends are best.

wallace47
Great Britain

Unread post by wallace47 »

Hi,welcome here.At risk of repeating everyone else,considering that you live in a flat,i would suggest an AP50,ssc interconnects and LS5 for now and you may find that is all you need.Add a tt and a phono 1,end of search.I run a squeezebox touch and a teac cdp throu'a Bushmaster dac,but don't use them as much as a tt.I had a long and expensive hifi journey before i stumbled upon a set of NVA sound cords.I now enjoy a system that plays all music,especially pianos at all volumes and have no thoughts of ever changing it,,sorry Richard...
Revox B795 Phono1 AP70 LS5 Royd Minstrels ,AP10 Royd Conistons Grado RS1 E-Dac..

Pianist~Envy
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:58 pm Where in London. Just get the train to Albany Park and I will pick you up come and listen here, but it is not a dem room it is a highly disorganised work room, what is on is what is being built.

Weekends are best.
This would be great, thank you! I would come with my friend who loaned me the AP20 and who has visited you before, so once I know his availability I'll come back to you with a few weekend options and see whether we can come at an appropriate time one weekend. We would drive so would be low maintenance visitors.

Pianist~Envy
Great Britain

wallace47 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:11 pm Hi,welcome here.At risk of repeating everyone else,considering that you live in a flat,i would suggest an AP50,ssc interconnects and LS5 for now and you may find that is all you need.Add a tt and a phono 1,end of search.I run a squeezebox touch and a teac cdp throu'a Bushmaster dac,but don't use them as much as a tt.I had a long and expensive hifi journey before i stumbled upon a set of NVA sound cords.I now enjoy a system that plays all music,especially pianos at all volumes and have no thoughts of ever changing it,,sorry Richard...
It's a flat but the room with the hifi isn't small and actually larger than I mentioned above due to the open hallway so I don't want to risk going under-powered, and also want to future-proof as much as poss - probs leaving for a larger leafier setting in the next couple of years. But interesting, perhaps the AP50 would be enough for now? Still feel like I want to throw a bit more at the amp though... And I've read the LS5s are perhaps a little heavier at the bass end? It's not something I look for especially as my current speakers have hefty bass reflex - but I'm guessing perhaps you're suggesting LS5 to potentially fill out the sound?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

You have read bollocks per usual.

LS5 and 6 have big connect area for current to flow so have no restriction they give what is there, nothing artificial. LS6 uses some better much more expensive cores along with some of what the LS5 has, so is *musically* better. TSCS only uses those expensive cores but much more of them and a few of the thicker cores to add weight to the cable. LS3 loses some bass and LS1 loses more. Sometimes people prefer that, but mostly it is just down to moving speakers. Anyway most modern speakers give you such artificial frequency doubled bass from ports and other daft design things it is hard to know what is doing what.

Pianist~Envy
Great Britain

Very happy to have the bollocks dispelled! And not surprised at all re. modern speakers. Goes hand-in-hand with bass-heavy bollocks modern music.