Advice for forum newcomer and relatively new NVA fan with £1k to spend

All things NVA
Pianist~Envy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Re: Advice for forum newcomer and relatively new NVA fan with £1k to spend

Unread post by Pianist~Envy »

Quarknosis wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:38 am Hi Pianist-Envy, welcome to HFS. A pro flute player? One of my favourite instruments to listen to but mainly in a jazz setting.

I would echo the recommendations for the P50. I have a P20 and think it is a bit limited in flexibility (but not sound). If I was starting from scratch knowing what I know now I'd probably go P50SA, A20X, LS6 and SSP mkii. Don't forget Doc does 100% trade in so the A20X and SSP could be upgraded if you felt that it needed to be later.

NVA cables are integral to the sound in my experience and over many years of buying hi-Fi I came to the conclusion that expensive cables didn't justify the expense but with NVA each cable upgrade has just enhanced the enjoyment. The LS1 is good but the 6 is way better. I jumped from the 1 to the 6 so couldn't comment on the stages in between. I have gone from SC to SSC to SSP mki to SSP mkii to TIS and again each step has enhanced my enjoyment but for me it was not until the SSP Mkii that it really started to come together.
Thanks Quarknosis. I've understood that the cables are no afterthought and I think I'll be adding to my budget to make sure I can go for SSP and LS6 - can't resist based on the Pollini (piano) quote on nvahifi.co.uk.

P50SA seems to be a good way to go from AP20. I read the thread on the A20x but just wondering whether I should again try to add a bit more budget and go to A40 monos or the A60? Really I'm after a bit more room-filling sound/music, otherwise I would stick with the AP20, which is lovely enough. Am I right in guessing the dual power supply would adding to separation rather than amplitude? Sorry I'm not well-read enough about this yet. I understand the range gets basically progressively 'more NVA' the more you spend - which obviously makes sense - so perhaps I just take another month or two to get the cash together.

I don't know a lot about jazz fluters - have a few Herbie Mann albums and bits and pieces here and there. Used to play in big bands myself but I'm certainly no jazzer. From the world of jazz I'm a big Art Tatum fan. Incredible musician/pianist. If you want to hear some awesome fluting I can highly recommend Susan Milan, who was my prof back in the day. And from a jazz-crossover perspective, you might have heard of Dave Heath? A flutist/composer, he wrote a solo flute piece called 'Coltrane'- You get the gist - his recording of it is spectacular.
Last edited by Pianist~Envy on Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." ~ Frederic Chopin

Amps/cables: NVA P50sa (48 step), A40 mk3, LS6, SSP
Digi/source: ARCAM CDS50
PaS: Troels Gravesen Scanspeak Discovery 3-Way Classic (homemade)

Music lover and piano dork.

Pianist~Envy
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:21 am The 12th is fine. Afternoon or evening please.
12th afternoon would be great. I've put it in the diary.
"Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." ~ Frederic Chopin

Quarknosis

Unread post by Quarknosis »

Pianist~Envy wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:32 am
I don't know a lot about jazz fluters - have a few Herbie Mann albums and bits and pieces here and there. Used to play in big bands myself but I'm certainly no jazzer. From the world of jazz I'm a big Art Tatum fan. Incredible musician/pianist. If you want to hear some awesome fluting I can highly recommend Susan Milan, who was my prof back in the day. And from a jazz-crossover perspective, you might have heard of Dave Heath? A flutist/composer, he wrote a solo flute piece called 'Coltrane'- You get the gist - his recording of it is spectacular.
Thank you for the recommendations, I'll have a look and listen to those of I can.
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

Quarknosis

Unread post by Quarknosis »

I've ordered the Dave Heath CD but the some of the Susan Milan CDs look expensive, especially Out of the Cool which is the one that looks most interesting to me. The clips that I listened to from Flute Fantasie on Chandos sound good.
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

Pianist~Envy
Great Britain

Quarknosis wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:32 am I've ordered the Dave Heath CD but the some of the Susan Milan CDs look expensive, especially Out of the Cool which is the one that looks most interesting to me. The clips that I listened to from Flute Fantasie on Chandos sound good.
Moved this chat to viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49192