Are SSC interconnects screened?

All things NVA
zebbo
Great Britain

Are SSC interconnects screened?

Unread post by zebbo »

I have a pretty weird issue.
I recently received one of my sets of long SSC interconnects to wire up the Cubix Pro's. Now, the Pro's have been powered up for a while and are silent, (apart from some slight humming transformers), but the moment I hooked up the R/H speaker it hummed/buzzed like a bastard - audible from the listening position 8ft or so away. I've swapped cables, swapped channels even swapped speakers but I still get the hum just on the R/H side.
I'm assuming that it's something being picked up by the cable just in that position. I've tried re-routing the cable, turning off the Virgin TV box, the router, the printer in fact everything I can find but I'm still getting the buzz! Which brings me on to my opening question.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Are SSC interconnects screened?

Unread post by karatestu »

I dont think they are screened, there may be a faraday cage though that is not connected to earth.
DIY FREE ZONE

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Loud buzz (I mean really load) is usually a bad contact or broken cable (I found out to my cost handling SSP clumsily :oops: )
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Oh yes I know that sound! :lol:
But this isn't that as it didn't matter which cable or even which speaker was used in that position it buzzed when connected up. It must be being picked up by the cable on that side. The only thing I haven't done yet is to swap the amp power supplies from one side to the other to see if the buzz moves sides. In the meantime I'm going to order a cheapo shielded cable just to check if that stops it.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Swop the cables. Or SC are screened so check with one of those or other screened cable.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I have swapped cables, reversed the channels and even swapped the actual speakers themselves but the buzz stays on the R/H side. Later this afternoon I will swap the power supplies over just to see if the buzz moves over also. With no signal cable attached all sections are virtually silent.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Sounds like a partial version of the damage as happened to the other one. Like a good wine they obviously don't like travelling, they have obviously been damaged.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I'm bloody knackered!
Right, the only thing I hadn't moved in all this was the power supplies so:
Swapped BOTH pairs of power supplies over left-to-right, result = Buzz has moved from R/H side to L/H side so:
Swapped JUST TOP pair of power supplies back left-to-right, result = Buzz is now back on R/H side.
This would indicate to me that the source of the interference is that one power supply.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Push the two halves of the flying lead together HARD until click and full contact, the plugs can back off and give partial contact. It has worked perfectly well for years, it gets moved and you have problems.

applemarc
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by applemarc »

Just to add to that I checked them before packing them up and had no noise.
Beresford Caiman Ipod