Are SSC interconnects screened?

All things NVA
zebbo
Great Britain

Re: Are SSC interconnects screened?

Unread post by zebbo »

Ok, I have now tried all the supplies and my findings are that:
While all the supplies work absolutely fine electrically and musically, two of them cause the speakers to buzz with SSC phono cables attached while the other two operate the speakers totally silently, (I'm listening to the top sections now with no buzzing at all).

Buzzing only occurs when a phono cable is attached. If no phono cable is attached the speakers are silent.
So two of the supplies seem to be causing interference with the unshielded SSC interconnects and two are not.
Applemarc used TIS interconnects are they shielded ? If so he would never have noticed.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

No worries Marc. As far as I'm concerned I bought them so any issues are now my issues. :)
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Sounds like a bad connection on the amp cable terminals. I think NVA shielding itself is not connected and works on faraday cage principle. Have you another phono cable that can be tried which would isolate it to the amp if still buzzing?
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

With the two power supplies I'm using at the moment, (I can only use one section of the speakers at the moment as I only have one pair of cables), there is absolutely no buzzing at all so it's not a fault with the cables per se. If I were to run from the other two supplies the speakers buzz when the phonos are attached.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

So it is when the 2 offending power supplies are attached? If so the connectors on the power cables may have developed a fault when being dismantled / transported.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I don't think so because the amps/speakers work fine musically with any of the supplies but two of them cause the buzz, (stray EMF / RFI or whatever ?), which seems to be picked up by the interconnects.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Well, cheapo shielded cables arrived and I hooked them up. Result? The buzz is reduced by, probably around 40 - 50% but still there.
If I make sure that the lower speaker, (with the driver inside the cabinet), is the one running from the buzzy PSU then it's barely audible but it's still strange.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I can build versions of SSC and SSP and TIS with the Faraday Cage configured as a screen. Existing ones can't be converted. PM me about bringing the one back that needs work.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Bloody earth loop. Disconnected the earths on the two PSU's and now all is silent.

applemarc
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by applemarc »

Oh the joy's of our hobby
Beresford Caiman Ipod