TSS

All things NVA
Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Re: TSS

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:28 pm Get a divorce :mrgreen:
Tempted...... I have everything connected to a 6 gang mains block. Somebody decided to turn off the system this morning by setting the mains socket switch to off. I’m not a happy boy..........

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Checked the TSS this morning to find out that somebody had flicked the switch. There’s no point in having a discussion at home as whatever I say will be ignored. If the transformers make a noise they just panic thinking that something horrible is going to happen.

I have now placed myself in the queue to borrow the BMU. I sooooooo hope this removes the buzzing.

scotty38
Kiribati

Unread post by scotty38 »

You need to start getting up early to make sure you get the trousers :-)

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Scotty, that’s a good point. They are involved in education so get up at stupid early o’clock. The time of day when the young me used to go to bed.......

One of them threw the switch back to “on”. Nothing blew up and I have just been listening to a few files. I’m starting to get what the TSS is about (I think) and I’m liking what I’m hearing.

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

TSS up and running for a few weeks.

To be honest, there is not a lot I can say. I had an A20 for a while and the TSS is definitely the bigger brother. You simply get an enhanced version of the music. In other words it sounds more like people playing musical instruments.

It’s not cheap but a total bargain when compared to the competition. I would probably feel a bit “short changed” if I had to use something lower in the range. Once you get to appreciate the amps strengths, it becomes a bit of a drug (don’t say you weren’t warned !).

Once again, the boy Dunn good.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Is that the review for publishing in the review thread.

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Please feel free to add this as a review if you think appropriate. I’ll add a bit more if requested.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Please just do me a review not just bits. It is not compulsory for sales as with the TSS, but for the loans as with the BMU it is part of the deal to do a review. At the moment I seem to have a couple of people who are just refusing to do it, so I am going to get tough (not aimed at you but general) and any loan stuff not reviewed then the borrower will be banned from any further loans of NVA.

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Ok it’s time for a proper review.....

The TSS looks like a giant A80. It’s large and measures 20” x 14” x 7” so no good for a rack - not that a rack would be recommended. I keep mine on a sideboard/cabinet.

It’s heavy. I have commented on this earlier so if you can’t be bothered to go to the gym, just pick up the box a couple of times each day.

The amp has been used for long enough for me to be able to give my opinion. It is certainly the big brother of the A20 that I was previously using. The difference is that the TSS is able to dig deeper into the music and subtle nuances of musicianship become much more obvious. I keep saying to myself “so that’s how he plays it”. There is also a lot more “power” which makes bands and orchestras sound more like a real performance. The bottom line is that it does fulfil my 2 requirements. It makes musical instruments sound they are being played and groups of musicians playing together sounds like bands or orchestras. One “bonus” is the tone of guitars. It’s a lot easier to distinguish between single coil and hum bucking pickups and acoustic guitars have a real sense of weight and body. It’s difficult for me to describe but you know it when you hear it ! I cannot say that I have more bass or higher highs or middier mids. Apologies if this all sounds a bit odd but it’s the best that I can offer.

The only downside that I have encountered is some buzzing from the transformers. This is purely down the the crappy mains we have. I have borrowed a BMU and will write another review shortly.

The TSS is not cheap but is would be very interesting to do a bake-off against a Naim 500 or something similar. I suspect that on a performance per pound basis the TSS is impossible to beat.

Just to put the whole thing into some sort of context. I am currently using a PL71 with a Denon 103, Phono 2 with 2 x psu, P90SA and a pair of Cube 3s on stands. Interconnect cables are SSP throughout with LS6 between the amp and speakers. There is room for improvement so still plenty to look forward to.