HiFi Review 1987

All things NVA
CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: HiFi Review 1987

Unread post by CN211276 »

Rectified wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:07 pm I burned all my 80's Hi-Fi mags. Kept the 60's/early 70's mags cos they were :bulls1: free.
I have only kept two, the one where I had a letter published and the one with Ivor's irate two page response.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Rectified
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Rectified »

Actually those Diesis 'Solitaire' speakers were a good speaker, Very heavy too.

scotty38
Kiribati

Unread post by scotty38 »

Rectified wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:07 pm I burned all my 80's Hi-Fi mags. Kept the 60's/early 70's mags cos they were :bulls1: free.
I only kept this one as I poured over it many times looking at all the systems and drooling over number 11.

So come on then who can name the components of that system..... Shouldn't be that hard....

You've seen Doc's at number 8 and number 11 cost £10,556 so there's your starter....

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Sondek/Ittok/Troika.
Naim 32 + 6pack of 135s, NAXO crossover
Linn Isobarik PMS?
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

SteveTheShadow wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:33 pm Sondek/Ittok/Troika.
Linn Isobarik PMS?
Linn and Naim relied on the fact that none of their dealers had pro connections to hear what a proper Top End system could sound like. An old friend of mine may still have one of these 'six pack' 'Brik systems under wraps, and then he heard what the pros could do for half the price and without all the boxes... The JBL Synthesis speaker range has expanded just lately and I wish dearly some of the better models from the late 1980's had been available to 'us' then. In the early 90's, you couldn't get a demo of pro JBL's anywhere as far as I knew...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

scotty38
Kiribati

Unread post by scotty38 »

Linn Isobarik PMS?
Nice try but you missed off the HiCaps lol :lol:

oh and it was a 32-5

:clap: :clap: :clap:

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

scotty38 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:45 pm
Linn Isobarik PMS?
Nice try but you missed off the HiCaps lol :lol:

oh and it was a 32-5

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Bah! :lol:

I heard an LP12/Ekos/Troika into 52 preamp, six pack and active Naim DBLs at a show in Sheffield, way back in 1992 or '93, I think.
I'd never heard such an ear-shredding fooking racket in my life. I learned later that a mate had also been there and told them with Yorkshire bluntness, that their setup sounded like a bag of spanners :doh:
He ended up in a stand up row with a Naim rep. :lol:
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

Rectified

Unread post by Rectified »

:clap:

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Working for one of Linn/Naim's top three dealers in the 80's I have to defend active Isobariks just a little... Where the passive Isobariks - Naim CB driven - could sound coarse, sometimes shrill and no two sets ever sounded exactly the same, the PMS active ones had rather more care taken in their construction, and until the late 80's when the cabs were totally altered to put the crossovers in a covered recess at the rear under edge, a lot of construction work was done to the empty carcasses in production (I have memories and some pics to prove it that I took). PMS actives from the late 70's to around 1984 could, when in a suitable room and a decent source, sound incredibly clear and you could listen to them for many hours of pleasure (I appreciate things were too variable). many late 70's LP's I have were first heard on a colleague's tri-amped isobaric system (chipboard speakers and bolt-up 250's which were Naim's best amps imo) and this particular setup in his particular room, sounded delightful on radio 3 as well as vinyl...

I've told the story of my first experience of the dire DBL's and I should add the 'ATC made' main driver had a tiny magnet on it compared to the proper article (why? Cheaper? I won't say what ATC thought of it, but I was there when they'd completed a batch of bass drivers for them and saw them being tested), the cone flapped around all over the place and I think they had short-lived foam surrounds as well...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Karnevil9

Unread post by Karnevil9 »

Those Diesis 'Solitaire' Stand speakers featured in Fretless posted Review were great speaker they even had grooves around the cabinets to match you Linn 'LP12' plinth :-?