All things NVA
kimangelis
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

NVA TIS Review

Unread post by kimangelis »

Hello all.

This about the TIS interconnects recently purchased. Richard asked for a review from those who purchased same.

Saturday 21 October.

I first purchased a length of TIS to replace my SSP digital interconnect between CD spinner and DAC (both Rega).
I used all the same settings on the DAC so the only variable is the interconnect.

Primarly I noticed that things were different. I was blown-away at first but am aware such effects can be felt when turning up the gain, so ignored the effect.
Secondly was the lack of jarring when the music turned from melodic to discordant. There was no switch from the comfortable to the uncomfortable.
To be clear.. my previous SSP set-up isn't bad, but I do listen to extremely variable music both classical and electronic, so the variation in presentation can be extreme.
I was hearing more but not as a collection of seperate sounds but more of a better-assembled collection, such as I would experience at a good concert hall.

Monday 23 October

The interconnect pair between DAC and P50SA is installed. Prior to this I had listened to a few of my favourite pieces from the likes of Amy Winehouse, Animals as Leaders, Schostakovitch and Satie piano, Vaughan Williams and Rachmaninov symphonies and a varied collection of personal favourites. This I repeated with the TIS.

Initially I was disappointed, as the quantum shift I experienced with the TIS digital interconnect was not multiplied by the TIS DAC-P50SA interconnects.
However, increased listening showed another aspect. One of imagery. The TIS took it to another level. I could 'see' the position of the bassist when listening to Amy W and identify the position of the 1st and 2nd violinists when listening to the LSO (Telarc CD). I am very aware I am listening to an illusion; a reproduction of music via electronics and moving speaker cones moving air.However, illusions are measurable, in that spacial positioning and musicality can be judged as accurate or not so.

Thursday 26 October

Home early as I was in work early... set about choosing a selection of 'testing' recordings (I have a lot of CD's) from raw crossed-mike piano recordings to more complex electronic pieces from the likes of Genesis and Pink Floyd. Testing vocals from Eminem, Annie Lennox, Seal, and some opera pieces from Wagner and Puccini.
Again the effect is more of a complete ensemble than a collection of individual instruments, particulary noticeable with multi-layered electronic pieces from the likes of Tony Banks. There is more detail but is never overwhelming.

Friday 10 November

Now have a full TIS loom between CD ad DAC, DAC and P50SA, and on to the A70's. Absolutely freezing here today so lit the log-burner, closed the curtains and pretended it was evening. Had a French classical afternoon from the likes of Faure, Durufle and Ravel. A lot of vocal stuff from the first two. Decided to switch back the digital interconnect back to the SSP. That didn't last long as there was a clear difference. Replaced interconnects between DAC and P50SA from TIS to SSP. Not so much of a difference. Ditto with the P50SA to A70 links.
Puzzled.....
However, once I reverted to all SSP the magic was gone. Some female vocals became strident and violins to shriek a little. Still very very good but not what I had been used to over the previous two weeks. Re-introduced TIS link by link, and although the stages brought about a minimal change, the whole was certainly more than the sum of it's parts. Up to stupid-of-the-clock again so tomorrows walk may have to be foregone....

It's now 2.00am on Saturday. My only (downstairs) neighbours are away for the weekend so I can press on.

Decided to switch from classical French music to more of my musical mainstays such as Steely Dan. Repeated the switching process and the picture became more two-dimensional with the SSP. Re-instaing the TIS link by link was again not revelational. But again the TIS as a whole loom blew away the SSP as a whole loom. The plucking of a bass string was more grainy (as it should be). I was aware of Donald Fagen's facial expressions as he strangled the hell out of a phrase. Switched to Steve Hackett to hear acoustic guitar and it was as though the system had disappeared. Fine, it was late at night/early in the morning so perceptions change. But the quality of what I was hearing had changed not just slightly but dramatically.

Monday 13 November.

Did a listen to all my classical and other favourites. This is music of which I am VERY familiar. It ranges from Vaughan Williams, through Rachmaninov, Shostakovitch, Gershwin, Copeland, Led Zeppelin, Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, Genesis... etc etc. Swapped-out all of the TIS for SSP and listened. All very very good. Swapped-in the TIS and listened again.

With the TIS....

1. The soundstage is VERY clear. Positions of instruments, singers et al is almost realistic.
2. The music as a whole is more as I expect from a good concert hall or venue.
3. The image is much more 3-dimensional. A more effective illusion.
3. Clarity is much improved.
4. Detail is VERY much improved. A single plucking of a string is almost as if the player were there.
5. All frequences are brought together as a whole. There is a definite lack of screech.

Tha.. that... that's it folks. If I've waxed too lyrical then, well... hard luck. I write as I feel as I hear.

Best regards to all.
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: NVA TIS Review

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Interesting, back when I first developed the mk1 TIS Gromit was very involved with listening to NVA developments, he has now largely disappeared off forums sadly. He said the same, TIS makes more difference on digital than analogue. Up from SSP analogue is icing on the cake, digital is fundamental change.

Analogue changes from SC to SSC and then to SSP are more fundamental.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:22 am TIS makes more difference on digital than analogue. Up from SSP analogue is icing on the cake, digital is fundamental change.

Analogue changes from SC to SSC and then to SSP are more fundamental.
I would certainly go along with this now having a TIS connection all the way between DAC and mono blocks, review just posted. The improvement is not subtle.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The mk2 is doing it now for analogue as well. At first I thought mk1 and 2 were very similar but as time has gone on the mk2 is showing itself as superior. Mk1 was a cable used in aircraft manufacture for long analogue signal paths, mostly control systems. Made by Gore Tex (yes the clothing people) in Germany using silver alloy and the Gore Tex material as dielectric, they were really good, but bloody expensive. Min cable order was over £1000. But all aircraft now are digital on signal paths so the cable is redundant and not made anymore. It took a bit of search and development work to find a replacement, which is not a cable off a reel as the mk1, it is fabricated like our speaker cables from multi different cores, 30 cores on each polarity, bit of a PITA to make but we have recently got the time down by a half so now more sensible in production.