Bespoke NVA

All things NVA
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Bespoke NVA

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:22 pm

All the products at ebay are fine for 1st time buyers of NVA, and I am happy if they stay that way, if they are happy.

Too much has been made of upgrade process in the past, especially by the flat earth duo. Anyway because I know it will happen with some of you I don't see why you should lose money in the process. So I make my profit margin larger as you go up the range in expense to finance a full value trade in policy. Which I think is unique.

Bespoke products are different, I would not trust them in the hands of new users who don't understand NVA, so they have become the ultimate point in any trade in upgrade process and are only sold to existing users via this forum.

The obvious ones are the Statement Range of product. All still available but only to you lot, including the cables. Also the Cubix and Cubix Pro speakers are in this catagory as well. At the moment two Black Box products are on this list but may at some point go up on ebay, I will see - these are the Phono3 and BBPSUs.

There are also discontinued Black Box product as in the AP30 and AP80 I could have my hand twisted enough to agree to build as specials for someone who simply wants that and nothing else.

With all these products there is a bespoke element to fit individual needs, as they are specials anyway so there is flexibility.

For me the perfect NVA customer is the one who sells to themselves with the experience of the product. Many full system owners started by buying a SC cable, and now I am hoping to motivate this with the starter system and the loan scheme for it. From starter system to Statement system, a journey to enjoy if you want to do it.

EDIT - also I mustn't forget the Jammy style AP10h headphone amp. The ultimate in this is a full split power supply version (like A80) using a stepped attenuator with the prototype BBPSU that has been bought by Ithilstone - STILL WAITING FOR FULL REVIEW, nudge nudge.

Alfi
Wales

Re: Bespoke NVA

Unread post by Alfi » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:16 pm

Awesome news Doc!

Whilst over the moon with the performance of my current black box range I would certainly consider investing in a pair of P40's if the cases could be a little lower than standard to suit my housing unit. Would that be possible?

Alfi.
Heavily modified LP12, Sole VIII sub-chassis, "In Sole" advanced polymer suspension, Ai bearing, PU7, DV20X2, Norton Airpower clone. Technics SL110A, AT 1005, Denon DL301A. NVA Phono 2 MC (2 power supplies), NVA P50 SA, NVA A40 Mk1 power amps, custom birch ply Allison 6/NVA Cube 1 clones, NVA TIS mk2 , SSC, LS6.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:34 pm

I think you misunderstood what I am saying. Bespoke is only the specials *A*40s are a standard product, and unless you want a smaller transformer you are stuck with the case size, it is dictated by the heatsink and height by the transformer. PLUS specials are in existing case there will be no special cases built just existing ones adapted.

What you can have as a special is the old style mk1 A40s as the case that was used is now used in the A20, so two of those. Because the case will only have a mono amp in it I can fit a transformer with higher voltage rails to give you a 40w spec BUT the reason I changed to the new design was because the internal heatsink wasn't up to it in difficult speaker load situations, but as long as you are sticking to the Doc Mod JPWs then no problem. Cheaper as well as I can do them for £400 (just double the A20 prices as they cost the same as that to make). BUT sorry no trade in if you do that, it will be £480 if you want the A20 trade in.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:11 pm

Indeed Doc, I did misunderstand your opening post, but nonetheless that is a superb offer to produce me a pair of A 40 mono blocks in the A20 case dimensions as they'll perfect for my needs. I have no intention of using difficult to drive speakers as I've taken the drivers I used in my Doc modded JPW's and fitted them into cuboid Birch ply cabs that I had a guy make for me at a rock bottom price giving me same internal dimensions as Alison 6's. I love them. As much as I wanted to I could not push funds to your Cube 1's so I took the next best option.

Now I'll have to sell some Linn stuff (Ekos 1) to fund the special A40's and possibly a Phono 2 in MM too. Maybe in time for Christmas as a treat to myself.

Can I trade in a Phono 1 MM against the Phono 2 when the time arises?

Alfi.
Heavily modified LP12, Sole VIII sub-chassis, "In Sole" advanced polymer suspension, Ai bearing, PU7, DV20X2, Norton Airpower clone. Technics SL110A, AT 1005, Denon DL301A. NVA Phono 2 MC (2 power supplies), NVA P50 SA, NVA A40 Mk1 power amps, custom birch ply Allison 6/NVA Cube 1 clones, NVA TIS mk2 , SSC, LS6.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:26 pm

Yes no problem, there is margin built in for that.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:32 pm

Cheers Doc!

Alfi.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:14 am

I have seen very occasionally mk 1 A40s appear at ebay.

I found this set in Italy, but look at the back panel picture to see what he has done, feckin' eeediot - the amplifier is now illegal, and I am sure some arse will blame me for it.

http://www.audiocostruzioni.com/r_s/amp ... va-a40.htm

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:17 am

Aye! Whatamistakatomaka, he's obviously been swayed by the likes of Russ Andrews and his BS.

Alfi.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:27 am

He makes the amp sound worse and makes it illegal (breaking ClassII regs) - great effort.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:16 pm

Naughty putting an iec power socket on it. Captive leads are always best.

Bespoke nva - how about a phono2 and pre amp combined in the same case ? Is that do able ?
Naim, Linn & Harbeth fanboy