karatestu's AP20

All things NVA
southall-1998
Wales

karatestu's AP20

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Sorry if I'm stalking you, Stu :mrgreen:

How are you getting on with the AP20 integrated?

If I can't reach for the A30 MKII, I'll maybe consider the AP20. Would love to try one in my Garden Cabin Room. (Not in the house) Never tried any NVA amp in the cabin.

Be interesting to see how the AP20 compares with my Nait 2.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

karatestu
Great Britain

Re: karatestu's AP20

Unread post by karatestu »

Hello Shane,

I love the AP20. It is so sweet and cuddly but not in a overly warm way. It has bags of detail but does not throw it in your face like some of the Naim amps do. With the AP20 you get to hear what an instrument really sounds like - the leading edge and the harmonics. Over time I came to feel that with the Naim amps that I had (Nait3, NAC72, mono NAP140's) that I was missing vital information about an instrument or a musician's style. That is why I defected to Avondale as they had so much more harmonic information and feeling.

Even the Avondale (which is good) can not do some of the things that the AP20 can. Things like sounding natural - as if nothing is added or taken away. I tend to forget about the hifi gear and just enjoy the music. At the moment I have the AP20 hooked up to a 17 year old Cambridge Audio CD5 and a pair of B&W CM1 which are small book shelf models with not so great efficiency. Even so the AP20 can drive them to the levels I listen to in my kitchen / diner .

The only gripe is that at very low volumes there is a touch of channel imbalance with the volume pot. I don't think the AP20 will be leaving me - EVER. If you love music rather than hifi then you will love it too. I wouldn't match it with a power hungry, cruel load and expect to fill a large room at high volume but if the speakers are average efficiency and not very low impedance then things will be fine & dandy

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

southall-1998
Wales

Smashing!

Thanks, Stu.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

karatestu
Great Britain

I have never heard a Nait 2 or 1 though. They are said to be sweeter than the olive stuff.
DIY FREE ZONE

southall-1998
Wales

The Nait 2 is communicative and musical. Good little amp, but does lack a little in depth.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

karatestu wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:18 pm Hello Shane,

I love the AP20. It is so sweet and cuddly but not in a overly warm way. It has bags of detail but does not throw it in your face like some of the Naim amps do. With the AP20 you get to hear what an instrument really sounds like - the leading edge and the harmonics. Over time I came to feel that with the Naim amps that I had (Nait3, NAC72, mono NAP140's) that I was missing vital information about an instrument or a musician's style. That is why I defected to Avondale as they had so much more harmonic information and feeling.

Even the Avondale (which is good) can not do some of the things that the AP20 can. Things like sounding natural - as if nothing is added or taken away. I tend to forget about the hifi gear and just enjoy the music. At the moment I have the AP20 hooked up to a 17 year old Cambridge Audio CD5 and a pair of B&W CM1 which are small book shelf models with not so great efficiency. Even so the AP20 can drive them to the levels I listen to in my kitchen / diner .

The only gripe is that at very low volumes there is a touch of channel imbalance with the volume pot. I don't think the AP20 will be leaving me - EVER. If you love music rather than hifi then you will love it too. I wouldn't match it with a power hungry, cruel load and expect to fill a large room at high volume but if the speakers are average efficiency and not very low impedance then things will be fine & dandy

Stu
Excellent summary of what the AP20 sounds like Stu.

I have the A20 power amp version and it too will not be sold. It may well however, be traded in for a pair of A40's next year.

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

karatestu
Great Britain

Why thank you alfi. :guiness;

If I had to downsize to a minimalist system (not including sources) it would be Phono1, AP20, cube3 and an assortment of NVA cables. I could probably live with the Cambridge Audio CD5 too and a PL-71.

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

It's a pleasure Stu.

I settled down late last night to play an album I'd not heard for a while and the first time via the Phono 2, P50, A20 combo; Eagles Live.

Rather than try to describe how bass, table, midrange performed with sound staging etc I'd rather say that little combo presented the Eagles as if they were in the room with me, I could hear so much more than I'd ever realised was in the groove from previous sessions, utterly amazing performance.

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.