Nva power supply.

All things NVA
Chunk McDaniel
Has thanked: 0

Nva power supply.

Unread post by Chunk McDaniel »

Forgive me if I am well off the mark.. In theory could an NVA phono2 power supply do the same job as a Naim Hicap on a CD5.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Nva power supply.

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Sadly no. The HiCap is lower voltage single rail DC from memory.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Chunk McDaniel

All I could find was 24v DC output for the Hicap but I do not know what the Phono power supply output is.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The PSU is ONLY for NVA products.

Chunk McDaniel

Ok Doc . i thought it may have been interesting if it could do the job.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

I've just been PM'd on AOS about my description of the HiCap supply, so thought I should elaborate here as best I can. Amazing how many AOS members come here and lurk.

My definition (which I thought was the official line, but please put me right if necessary) of a 'dual rail' supply is when you have a 'plus' voltage and a 'minus' voltage on the supply output. This is how the NVA and others work. The Naim supplies have a single 'Plus' supply rail voltage which in the case of the HiCap is doubled up. To me, this is still a 'single rail' supply, just two or more of them, but maybe my broad understanding of the term 'dual rail' is wrong, so apologies for any misunderstanding I may have caused here...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Naim is a Quasi Complimentary circuit http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/c ... output.php . The NVA is a fully complimentary circuit.

So Naim just use NPN in a darlington config with a single rail. NVA uses PNP and NPN and has a split rail with a centre 0v.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:09 pm I've just been PM'd on AOS about my description of the HiCap supply, so thought I should elaborate here as best I can. Amazing how many AOS members come here and lurk.

My definition (which I thought was the official line, but please put me right if necessary) of a 'dual rail' supply is when you have a 'plus' voltage and a 'minus' voltage on the supply output. This is how the NVA and others work. The Naim supplies have a single 'Plus' supply rail voltage which in the case of the HiCap is doubled up. To me, this is still a 'single rail' supply, just two or more of them, but maybe my broad understanding of the term 'dual rail' is wrong, so apologies for any misunderstanding I may have caused here...
The flatcap, hicap and supercap are all positive voltage only as you say. The XPS power supply (and others for the higher range cdp's and 500 series) and their poweramp psu's are positive and negative but I thought that was called split rail not dual rail.

Confused.
DIY FREE ZONE

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Don't waste any more energy on it. Naim power amps are based on (apparently) a mid 50's PA amp design picked up by Wireless World in the late 60's I believe and also used at least in part by Sinclair in their kits I was told. JV got the idea about bigger power supplies being important, they latched onto the Linn bandwagon in the early days and the rest is history.

Chunk McDaniel

Sorry if I opened a can of worms with my question. I am sure Les at Avondale will sort me out with a power supply. I was just asking the question as I would have liked to keep my new system apart from sources of course all NVA.