Phono 3 and big bastard PSU

All things NVA
zebbo
Great Britain

Re: Phono 3 and big bastard PSU

Unread post by zebbo »

I have the Phono2 with both PSU, so, to try this new Phono 3 at it's cheapest step I would need two more PSU, the same as I have, and the Phono 3 head unit yes?
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Yes, but cheaper than that is get the PSU with one lead back to me to have two leads. Then existing PSUs would be the same and you would only hear the benefit of the 3, I haven't done that, but there definitely would be benefit, or do it your way and get stage and PSU benefit.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

BUMP - i need listeners to the big bastard / Phono3

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Doc, I will be VERY interested at some point, (although I doubt the end version would be with the big bastard PSU), but I'm right in the middle of a complete TT/arm/cart re-vamp at the moment. I'm awaiting delivery of a brand new Allnic Puritas to play off against the Benz Gullwing SLR and Koetsu Black Goldline. The Anniversary has gone and in it's place is a Garrard 401 / SME IV / Koetsu/Benz/Allnic. Once I'm happy with everything I would definitely like a listen please.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I thought that was your PT on Ebay ,you kept that quite . Come on then spill the beans

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

TBH Dan I'm still not 100% convinced I've done the right thing! As usual at this sort of level it's more of a sideways step than an overall improvement. The Garrard was generally an itch I had to scratch, I've wanted one for years. I thought I would have a play around with it for a while then drop back to the Anniversary to see how I felt. Although the Garrard has a generally much beefier sound with slightly better detail retrieval it can also sound a bit hard at times and I thought that going back would be like slipping on your favourite slippers but it wasn't like that. It turns out that I've gotten to like the extra drive, punch and detail even if it does has the odd hard edge. It can't do the "hairs on the back of your neck" female vocals like the Anni can but as I say, it's the usual swings and roundabouts. If I had more money I would have held onto it for longer but I couldn't afford to have £1800 sitting in the loft! It wasn't an easy sell, I thought it would be snapped up but it took a long while and I eventually sold it for £1800, (which is what I paid for it 7 years ago), outside of e-bay the robbing bastards.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Problem you will have now is the upgrade bug , bearing , power supply etc :lol:

ps, you could probably have got that extra detail and bass punch by buying maxon motor mounting off the subchasis and de-springing :mrgreen: ;)

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Maybe, but that just doesn't seem right somehow. The bloke who bought it is a real PT fan, he already has an Export GTI that he is keeping and he bought his son an Export for his birthday so I think he will cherish it. It is nice to be able to use the cleaning brush without nearly stopping the platter I have to say! :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

You see one of the forum nonsenses posted is that phono stages only need small or wall mounted power supplies. Yes they *NEED* very little, but they *BENEFIT* from as much as you can give them. I built this to prove my point, which as often happens led to me making a better phono unit.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I bet that power supply needs to be kept well away from anything else. Four 1KVA transformers for a phono stage - i bet there is no commercial product out there like it.

I look forward to hearing about it :epop:
DIY FREE ZONE