SOME SUMMER BARGAINS

All things NVA
TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Re: SOME SUMMER BARGAINS

Unread post by TheMadMick »

CN211276 wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but how do you earth a sheet of metal?
Many ways. I use a crocodile clip and a length of (green) wire to the earth spike outside my listening room. If you can find the earth block by your "fuse box" (it should be plain galvanised metal with green and yellow wires coming to it) you could you could use that temporarily. Low wife acceptance factor if you leave wires all over the carpet - so you may need to be creative. There is also the option to use the earth pin on a 13A plug, but I don't like that as there is a distinct possibility of putting 230V in your kit or up your arm.

Plainly, if you are handy with a soldering iron, you might solder an earth wire to the plate and do as above. If not, a screw and nut through a bored hole in the plate with the wire trapped under it would do but make sure the wire contacts clean metal for a good low resistance connection.
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I still cannot figure out what you are trying to earth.

Most materials pass or reflect fields. Obviously fields are used to transfer current, in fact to create current in the first place, but they have to be close to each other.

Also I still don't see why you are doing it. Is it to try and stop 50hz field going from say a power amp transformer to a voltage gain input stage in another box like a phono stage. Or is it RF field coming into your house, or is just another Russ Andrews rip-off load of selling bollocks going on that some one has picked up on.

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Pass.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Are you sure you are not just taking about blocking and reflecting fields, it is the earthing bit that bugs me. If just blocking then steel would be as good if not better and a lot cheaper.

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Maybe. I had the lead from another piece of work so that worked out cheaper for me.