Testing A 80

All things NVA
floydfan

Re: Testing A 80

Unread post by floydfan »

One more question, hopefully not stupid. I have a Pioneer deck,CD player, phono 1, A30 and A80 mk2 monoblocks all plugged into a single multiblock could the arrangement of the plugs in the multiblock cause a hum when playing viny.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Nope. Pick up the phono 1 while it is humming and move it around does the hum change, if so it is hum pick up from a transformer somewhere nearby it. One of the many musical and usage disasters of using a rack. If not probably an earth problem with the turntable.

floydfan

Unread post by floydfan »

The A 30 seems to be the culprit. Although I don't have a rack system I have the Phono 1 about six inches above the amp. I will think of a way increase the distance. Funny it didn't hum before as the components are in the same positions.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Cables have moved.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Sell or throw away the rack and use your gear spread out the way it should be. ALL racks are the work of the devil, why the feck do people use them. :roll: :roll: :angry-fire: :angry-fire: :angry-steamingears: :angry-steamingears: :angry-soapbox:

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

I found you need 18" approx between NVA phono 2 box and the power supplies to eliminate hum. Especially bad if transformers have to be positioned directly below. Also got buzz in one channel and hum in the other if I stacked transformers together.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Sell or throw away the rack and use your gear spread out the way it should be. ALL racks are the work of the devil, why the feck do people use them. :roll: :roll: :angry-fire: :angry-fire: :angry-steamingears: :angry-steamingears: :angry-soapbox:
Because, Doc, as much as we moan about our other-halves most of us do prefer them to stay around. (And not constantly bitch on about all our gear spread everywhere)! :grin: A necessary evil for a lot of us I'm afraid.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

wallace
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wallace »

I agree with Zebbo,i use a rack out of necessity,not enough space to put gear anywhere else.The only time i had a hum problem was when it was full of Naim kit.Never had even a hint of hum since i swopped it all for NVA. :dance: :lol:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

A rack is of necessity for me as well. Not only because of space constraints, but also a toddler granddaughter.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Gentlemen, the doc doesn't like racks and he likes to tell everybody frequently . You do not need to justify your use of them , its a harmless personal preference ;) , I mean its not like your having to justify your decision to vote leave is it .