QUAD ESL 63 ?

All things NVA
hughandella
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

QUAD ESL 63 ?

Unread post by hughandella »

I have read conflicting reports on amount of the power needed for Quad electrostatics ---- I have possible chance to buy a nice pair of 63's but I wouldn't be able to change my amp ---- a NVA A30 mark II which I am happy with ---- any thoughts ? and also like to be re assured that NVA can be used with ESLs safely -- somewhere I read Doc used 57s to base his amp design n so assume that is good news ... but would like views
tks
chris

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: QUAD ESL 63 ?

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Don't do it!

Why?

Because 63's are now all falling apart as their panel adhesives age, the protection for overload is a short circuit across the speaker terminals (I think the worst of the NVA-killing capacitive loading was designed out from memory) and you need to set them up VERY carefully on tallish and/or angled stands to get anywhere near a half decent sound out of them - this from personal experience in the dem room and in client's homes.

Get 63's set up just right well away from room boundaries and they *can* be enchanting, but it's too much faff and bother when superior conventional speakers can be had, especially when so many 63's appear to be failing now. Harbeth P3ESR's will do everything the 63's do and better - but hang on, you've already been there and moved on

You'll go and buy them anyway, I bet :grin:

Just get some effin' Cube 1's and all your HiFi-itis will disappear!
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

hughandella
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by hughandella »

Harbeths are over priced and over rated imho ...... can't see how can compare the Quads with them - but I did ask ! .... it prob wont happen anyway -- but i wont be buying harbeths either ...... the MAD were better to my ears and we compared side by side ....... not really looking just had an offer out of the blue

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I had a pair of 63's for a while, I was driving them with a Quad 909 I think, plus a couple of others. They are capable of producing some of the most goose-pimpling, hair-standing music I've ever heard, especially vocals, but as Dave says they are an absolute pain in the arse to live with in a "living" room. They also don't do everything that well. If I ever get my own, decent sized hi-fi room I will get some more just for when I want to lose myself in a bit of Mary Black for a couple of hours. 8-)
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

hughandella wrote:Harbeths are over priced and over rated imho ...... can't see how can compare the Quads with them - but I did ask ! ....
Harbeths as a breed and the 63's are aimed at a particular kind of usually more mature music lover with particular musical tastes and who most often keeps them for life. Dipole speakers are so odd though - you can place them close to a side wall but get then near a back one ad all manner of 'stuff' starts to happen.

Like I said and with some memory of your room and setup. Cube 1's will do all you want and with so much more to come - and they're not a 'HiFi' sound either, quite the opposite. They'll have an uncanny knack of presenting the music in a manner that makes you forget the mechanics of a stereo system trying to work against all odds in an unknown domestic environment. Well worth saving up for as you like stand mounted speakers I think.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

57's are wonderful when modded and used properly. 63's are shit :x

I do a Doc Mod on 57s, if anyone want to know how and do it themselves then ask.