Advice on Speaker Stands

All things NVA
_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Advice on Speaker Stands

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

So what's wrong with bottom spikes to the floor (if I can 'do it' with four spikes each stand, anyone can!) as well as the large 'feet' between stand and speaker? Sorted :grin:

Once I came out of this bullshit, I began to take more liberties and tried to be less anal about all this nonsense. Result? NO change in sound whatsoever!!!
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

Appreciate that the energy generated by the cubes "falls down through the stand" as opposed to making the stand "want to rock". However, the cube is large relative to the stand (the stand being relatively "thin" so it's all a bit top heavy. I can just imagine Mrs S or one of the offspring bumping into the cube or stand leaving me with a Donald ducked speaker.

I just want to get the cube a bit more stable on the stand. They sound so good that I'm not doing this in expectation of an improvement (that would be a bonus).

We have carpet and underlay on a concrete floor so getting the spikes to stay should be not be a problem. Every time I pierce the floor covering, the carpet and underlay seem to reform and I'm back to square 1. It's infuriating but I just cannot get the stands stable and like Zebbo, I just want the stands steady.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

So the spikes won't stay in contact with the concrete even with the weight of the speakers on top?
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

My speaker stand spikes pierce the carpet and underlay and I have concrete floors. Start with yours spikes at the same length underneath the base of your stand, push through the carpet/underlay then check for wobble by pressing on the top of the stand. If there is wobble just lean the stand so you still have two of the spikes in the carpet, adjust one of the spikes a little, replace and check for wobble again. I know it can be an hassle but you will get there. :grin:

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Stemcor1990 wrote:Appreciate that the energy generated by the cubes "falls down through the stand" as opposed to making the stand "want to rock". However, the cube is large relative to the stand (the stand being relatively "thin" so it's all a bit top heavy. I can just imagine Mrs S or one of the offspring bumping into the cube or stand leaving me with a Donald ducked speaker.

I just want to get the cube a bit more stable on the stand. They sound so good that I'm not doing this in expectation of an improvement (that would be a bonus).

We have carpet and underlay on a concrete floor so getting the spikes to stay should be not be a problem. Every time I pierce the floor covering, the carpet and underlay seem to reform and I'm back to square 1. It's infuriating but I just cannot get the stands stable and like Zebbo, I just want the stands steady.
How long are the spikes? Mine are long enough to go through the carpet and underlay to the floor underneath and still leave room to get at the adjustment nuts. Some aren't that long and effectively leave the speaker, or stand, on the carpet.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Once the spikes have penetrated the carpet and underlay (didn't popular ones have a M4 thread as it was less diameter?), rock the stands about a bit (no speakers in situ obviously) while pressing gently on the top to fully locate the spikes through the carpet. Once some kind of stability is assured, you can then level the stands and set for zero diagonal rocking. Worked for me over thirty years in dem rooms...

By the way, the chap on the Naim forum who once claimed his (otherwise awful) Ovators only worked when perfectly level was deluding himself. They have massive sonic issues despite a beautiful finish, and getting them absolutely level (difficult as the tops are slanted I recall) is the absolute LEAST of their problems... :twisted:
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

Many thanks to everybody who has posted today. I'll try again but it may be some time before I can report back.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

When I had a concrete floor and used spikes .

I drilled holes on to floor . filled the drilled wholes with raw plugs and sealant . Put cross head screws in to the raw plugs and placed the spikes in tot he cross head . you can level by raising the required individual screws .

jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Hi.....I cant believe we've had (168 - One Hundred & Sixty Eight) posts on this shite.....Holy fuk if yer speakers dont sound good on ....balsa granite oak steel marble etc etc to infinity, you may want to get a pair of decent speakers.

Mine sound lovely on the dog's bed, or any where else I decide to chuk em.

Strange...... :guiness;

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

Careful Jammy, don't want to damage the woofers :animals-dogrun:
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1