Advice on Speaker Stands

All things NVA
Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Re: Advice on Speaker Stands

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

I think I got away with mentioning the "l"word :lol:

Yesterday morning and afternoon I had stemcor towers to myself. A perfect opportunity to get the stands level and a bit of experimentation with speaker placement. So on went the first piece of music and 6 hours of non-stop music later I had managed to make exactly zero changes to the stands. So the bad news is that I still don't know how good the cubes really are. The good news is that I am enjoying these so much that I am beginning to lose interest in wringing the nth degree of performance out of them.

I think I'll leave the audio nervosa to the LP12 and Salisbury built amp owners but I really should do the housekeeping thing and at least get all 4 speaker spikes making contact with the concrete floor.

I blame the Doc for making such a good pair of speakers :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Cubes are not as picky with stands as other speakers as you have to remember the main vibration pressure is in a different direction / plane / phase. It is not trying to induce a rocking motion as with normal speakers, the motion is compression into the stand and the ground.

That saying, as has been noted, they put a lot of energy out, so care should be taken nothing is set off to vibrate.

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Time for an update.

I said previously that the installation of my cubes was "plonk and play". Well I have to give myself the plonker of the month award. In my haste to get the speakers working, I failed to notice that The speaker stands were 90 degrees out. The longer edge of the top of the stands was running from side to side under the cubes instead of front to back. Now that this has been corrected, there is a little more clarity and some small problems I had with Spotify have disappeared. The stands still move a bit but I'm becoming less concerned as the music is so enjoyable. I'm beginning to think that this is my final pair of speakers.

One day I'll get round to having stable stands and I'll update again but right now I'm just loving what I have. So thank you Doc, thank you Teddy Pardo, thank you Roy Gandy and thank you to the engineers at slim devices.

George Hincapie
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Stemcor1990 wrote:...and thank you to the engineers at slim devices.
You have a Transporter?

antonio66
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

You're really going to have to sort out your stands. I know it can be hell of a job to get them so there is no rocking, but worth it IMO

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

George, I don't have a transporter but I have a Teddy psu for my squeezebox touch and also a separate Teddy dac. It's a very nice digital front and I don't miss cds at all.

Antonio, I know you are right but the cubes are sooooo good it's going to take a big effort on my part to make any adjustments. That Dunn bloke knows how to build a speaker.

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Still very little progress in getting the stands level. It's a pain in the bum and I just can't get it right. I noticed that George H has his stands on something. I am assuming that it's something solid. So any recommendations for something to place under my stands. I was wondering if some nice black acrylic would do the job. Appreciate that this is going to be a "suck it and see" experiment.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

What are you having trouble with? Are you spiking through carpet? Onto a solid screed or wood?
It shouldn't be that difficult.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

As I have said before it is not a big problem with Cubes. I could just let you think about as it is pretty obvious why. And this probably the 10th time I have posted it. It is all about energy and where it is going. In a point and squirt it creates a rocking motion in the stand (180deg out of phase with its earth, the floor), so how it is fixed is important to control the rock. With Cubes the energy is down in a compression mode into the ground, so lateral stability is no where near as important.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Yes Doc, but it's not always just for the performance. I for one, can't stand things wobbling around, whether it affects the sound or not. DO IT RIGHT, DO IT ONCE. :grin:
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol: