Nasty high pitches tone

All things NVA
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Nasty high pitches tone

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

There are a number of fixes that *may* work, but nothing guaranteed as it depend on source. Ferrite rings, BMU, Mains Regenerator, building a Faraday Cage around the hi-fi :mrgreen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQe3B_59kgw

Ed345
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Ed345 »

I think my skull is too thick to worry about the physical effects. More worried about my mental health from the bloody tone.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

stick the amp in card board box - put holes in for mains lead and speaker cable . wrap the cardboard box in tin foil . Hey presto a faraday cage . :grin:

edit - I should have said aluminium foil , I forget that tin foil is a northern colloquialism . ;)
Last edited by Daniel Quinn on Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I think you missed the point. That video was about health but is just as applicable to your hi-fi. Daft as it seems if you build a Faraday Cage around your hi-fi (probably impracticable) it will almost certainly solve the problem. As in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoQZY1FtI3c

I have known in the past someone to line the walls and floor (carpet on top) of their listening room with allumium foil. And don't listen to anyone talking about adding an earth to the cage, it ruins it as the earth becomes a source of noise. A Faraday Cage should float (electrically).

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:And don't listen to anyone talking about adding an earth to the cage, it ruins it as the earth becomes a source of noise. A Faraday Cage should float (electrically).
:clap:

Absolutely, and if its RF causing the noise adding an earth just makes the receiving aerial (input on amp) more efficient which give you more noise :lol:

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

Whatever you do,don't ask Russ Andrews,or he will sell you something for ten grand that all his customers swear by,,or swear at... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Ed345

Unread post by Ed345 »

I tried wrapping a few layers of tin (aluminium) foil around the amp, but it made no difference to the high pitched tone and increased the slight background noise.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Does the tone also disappear if there are no input interconnects attached to the amp? If so then those cables could be acting as aerials.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Ed345

Unread post by Ed345 »

No, the tone is consistent regardless of interconnects connected, or source selected.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Ed345 wrote:I tried wrapping a few layers of tin (aluminium) foil around the amp, but it made no difference to the high pitched tone and increased the slight background noise.
Which amp? Metal bodied one. I think the foil needs some space to act as a Faraday cage - hence the idea of forming it around a cardboard box larger than the amp.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro