New!!!!! NVA CD players

All things NVA
CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: New!!!!! NVA CD players

Unread post by CN211276 »

I think there would have been more takers but for high res streaming which was gaining popularity at this time.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

Read it again Stu; just for interest/ debate what do You think the eventual donor Cdp would have been- several years on and the suggestion of a car cdp can work as most have remotes- I also like the idea of a PS3 etc-
What mods would u do to a transport- most are flimsy plastic drawers except the meridian I had.
Would make for an interesting project 🍺
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Latteman wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:49 pm Read it again Stu; just for interest/ debate what do You think the eventual donor Cdp would have been- several years on and the suggestion of a car cdp can work as most have remotes- I also like the idea of a PS3 etc-
What mods would u do to a transport- most are flimsy plastic drawers except the meridian I had.
Would make for an interesting project 🍺
I have no idea what the donor would have been :cry: Something from the cheaper end of the market maybe fro Richer Sounds ? Knowing RD it would have been a simple, musical affair. Play stations are apparently good players of cd's - need to give my son's PS4 a run out :grin:

RD wanted to strengthen the transport, not sure how but i would wager it would involve bison kit and steel :lol: I don't know about drawers - i love the way my Naim does it with it's swing out tray that you pull and magnet to hold the cd in place. No cogs, belts or other crap to go wrong.. It is very substantial.

I gave gone to town on mine with the power supplies, regulators, clock, removed the seven pole bessel filter anologue stage. Simple is better in my experience although my project bred power supplies like rabbits.
DIY FREE ZONE

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Richard ended up looking at the Pro-ject CD Box S which is a slot-loader with a high quality transport, remote and external PSU.

But he was hesitant due to the higher price.

I tried out one of these and ended up with the Cambridge CXC which totally fulfills my CD needs. :grin:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

Interesting, thanks for pointing it out. My outcome was more than I expected (sidetrack) Have several DVD players around that were no longer in use, kid's gone etc,etc. Anyway thought I'd have a listen to them playing cd , out of them the old soney sounded the best and surprise surprise, bigger soundstage plus more detail than my Roksan cdp. Lacks in a lot of ways, bass dynamics all those silly word's but truth be told heard more detail on "dark side of the moon"CD than I've heard before, other than on vinyl, particularly the soundstage Couldn't/could listen to it all the time but any ideas how this could be? crap CD player? Don't get me wrong I have been happy for many years with the Roksan untill I did this, must have played that PF CD thousands of times. Hearing more via this sonny DVD player than I've noticed before. :shock:

karatestu
Great Britain

More detail doesn't always equal better. I used to fall in to that trap. I have never heard a Roksan so can't comment on it's merits. Sony is a name to trust on the whole i reckon.

If you are electrically competent then you could probably make that dvd player even better. I bet it was a lot cheaper than the Roksan. But thats the way it goes sometimes, high cost doesn't always equal better (for an individual). I have been surprised on occasion myself.

Just for a laugh i bypassed the seven pole bessel filter output anologue stage in my naim cd3.5 and preferred it. There are no absolutes. The output stage was very well designed according to somebody i trust and who simulated it (Martin Clark on pfm) . He was surprised when i told him it was better to my ears. More natural, detailed and musical. The naim anologue stage robbed the music of many things and sounded "over the top" when i reverted back to using it for a sanity check. There was a kind of artificial sheen over the music in comparison.

The dac chip is a very cheap one and not so highly regarded. Non the less it drives the next stage in my system without problems although it does have an internal opamp on the output of each channel. I can't see me ever wanting to stop using it. It has bred power supplies (has five in total now) and some fancy regulators and a pfm flea powered tent labs clock with its own dedicated psu. I think it is amazing what i have managed to extract from this cdp which i bought new for £1000 back in 1997. Still on the origi al transport and it hasn't missed a beat even though i have had the motherboard out more times than i can remember.

The Sony cdp s1 that i bought for £30 on the doc's recommendation is no slouch for the money. A bit laid back for my taste but a very civilised and grown up sound that i could happily live with without any mods. But i doubt i could leave it alone after witnessing what can be achieved.
DIY FREE ZONE

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

Yet right on both :grin: the Roksan was probably 10×+ the cost of Sony and the extra detail is not necessarily better ,just a surprise. Made me at least understand that there was more than I was hearing! Trouble is what now :oops:

karatestu
Great Britain

Ordinaryman wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:15 pm Yet right on both :grin: the Roksan was probably 10×+ the cost of Sony and the extra detail is not necessarily better ,just a surprise. Made me at least understand that there was more than I was hearing! Trouble is what now :oops:
You need to hear more cdp's. Go to bake off's or go on a huge box swapping spree where you buy second hand cheapish units and move them on if you don't like. Either that or forget all about it and be content.

Recently i have heard musical content on discs that i never knew was there or was masked. IME there are ways of getting more detail without making things soumd fatiguing, and there are ways of making it sound relentless and fatiguing. So it can be done. RD did it through very careful simplicity and NVA never sounds harsh to me.

Removing noise, lowering psu impedances has ben a mixed bag for me. I once added a couple of ALWSR super regulator to power the six opamps (now bypassed) in my Naim CD3.5. All was good until i decided to mount them in a different place with only five or six centimeters of wire between them and the opamps rather than the five or six inches previously. There was loads more detail but i couldn't listen to it with most of my music. Sibilance city. It was interesting in the sense that i learned a few things.

Contrast that with adding more drivers covering the same frequency ranges in my diy speakers and i am in detail uncovering heaven. It is more detailed and less harsh / annoying at the same time.

Sorry i have gone off on one about me again :roll: but i was trying to illustrate a point which i may or may not have achieved :think: . If your experience has left you curious and with an itch to scratch.........then scratch it :grin: .
DIY FREE ZONE

Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

It was interesting in the sense that i learned a few things
Without want8ing to be awkward, I don't know exactly what you could have learnt from that without a scope to see just what was actually happening.

karatestu
Great Britain

True. My thoughts and those of others on pfm (who were far more electronics aware than me) were that the inductive nature of the output of the regulator needed a bit of resistance (provided by the extra wiring) to prevent oscillation with the low esr caps that are decoupling at the input of the opamps.
DIY FREE ZONE