stacking NVA

All things NVA
guydarryl

stacking NVA

Unread post by guydarryl »

Just been admiring Jammy's system (photographs on TAS) and it got me thinking.

I seem to remember Doc saying that it was best to lay out boxes on the floor (apologies if memory is wrong) like enthusiasts do in the far east.
For myself, I try to keep boxes "in line" on top of my record storage cabinet - power supply for Phono' as far away as possible from pre amp.
Jammy has stacked some of his. (really not a dig, although perhaps just a little envy :mrgreen: )

Is it a matter of "horses for courses" ? What do others do with their boxes?

Guy.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: stacking NVA

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It is all a question of gain, if it is high voltage gain that will pick up hum fields, if mostly current gain as in Jammy Special then there shouldn't be any hum pick up. But if it was me I would stack the PSU (no problem) and put the headphone unit to the side. Phono stages are high voltage gain from a very low level signal (especially mc) so NEED to be kept away from each other and away from anything else with a transformer in it. The bigger the transformer the more the problem so away from power amps especially.

Avoiding stacking power amps is because of heat transfer, they need room to breath the heat away.

wallace
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wallace »

I just pile it up,never had a hum since i got rid of my Naim hicap, and amp.
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

My Phono 2 box is full length of the umbilicals away from the PSU and I had to re-locate everything in the rack so the QED Positron was as far away from the Phono 2 head unit as possible.

Where phono stages are concerned, if there's any way that hum can be totally eradicated, the sound is clearer at 'normal' volume levels in my experience. Having a HiCap near to or alongside a Naim preamp with phono stage (as I've seen many setups so arranged) is a disaster for reproduction of 'air' and 'space,' something Naim phono stages aren't very good at in stock form anyway.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

According to this thread RD was involved in the Positron design

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthre ... esford-751

The OP found a QED digit/positron outperformed the current (2010) Berisford DAC.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I don't talk about it anymore as it just makes people ask me to do one. I know next to NOTHING about digital design, but I know about analogue and power supplies design and that was all I was involved in.

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:My Phono 2 box is full length of the umbilicals away from the PSU and I had to re-locate everything in the rack so the QED Positron was as far away from the Phono 2 head unit as possible.

Where phono stages are concerned, if there's any way that hum can be totally eradicated, the sound is clearer at 'normal' volume levels in my experience. Having a HiCap near to or alongside a Naim preamp with phono stage (as I've seen many setups so arranged) is a disaster for reproduction of 'air' and 'space,' something Naim phono stages aren't very good at in stock form anyway.
bold: same experience for me - hence my moving phono power supply as far away as possible (good to be reassured that I wasn't kidding myself! no hum, just didn't sound quite as good)

Also, thanks for comprehensive answer Doc.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Should phono stage PSU's be left permanently on, or can they be turned off when not needed?

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

You can turn anything off, it just means you have to put up with warm up time. What everyone must remember is it is switching electronics on and off that stresses it not leaving it on. With valves you have to switch off as valves are finite, with transistors and integrated circuits they are better left on.

It is known as being left on quiescent, as there is a minute current drain through the circuit keeping it warmed up, it is known as quiescent current, and transistors prefer that to the shock of constant ons and offs.

Definition. For an electronic circuit, a quiet state in which the circuit is driving no load and its inputs are not cycling. Most commonly used for the specification "quiescent current," the current consumed by a circuit when it is in a quiescent state.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Stupid of me (and I should have known better - having had the PSU & P80 since the last ice age). Leaving them powered on does have a major influence on the sound. Being primarily digital for far too long has left me neglecting my analogue sources. Now I see why they weren't at their best.

Maybe I should fire up the old Nakamichi cassette deck again, for old times sake.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest