My new workroom

All things NVA
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: My new workroom

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Alfi wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:I have rebuilt a pair of Royd Envoys that had a fried bass driver. Some Doc Mods and Cube type bass drivers, I have had to do lots of doping adjustment to match that tweeter, which is a sharp bitch :x I even had to dope the tweeter in the end - that is a first, but it really worked they are singing on Ella and Louis at the moment. I have them working omni at the moment as I wait for the dope to dry. Not full Doc Mods, I have left them as Royd as possible. Though they are not ported anymore as it would have been far too much faffing to adjust the port to match the new drivers.

As you can tell I have my dem system up and running and I had to get some speakers going for it.

Exactly how I have orientated my AP2's Doc! After experimentation, they simply presented music more to my liking laid on their side.

Are the tweeters inside or outside with yours Doc? I have my tweeters on the inside - not tried them the other way around yet as they seem so good to me as they are now.

Alfi
Everything is facing up i.e. omni. It is because the doping is drying and used the right way up it would slowly flow down and off the drivers :x This way it gives a far less "in yer face" presentation, it is an omni speaker presentation, very popular in Scandinavia in the late 60's and 70's - Stig Carlsson, a bit of an unsung genius. Most famous brand was Sonab.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Bloody hell I need a BMU :shock: 11.15pm and the system has really woken up!! a bit earlier it was a bit flat compared with late last night (my first listening) and I put it down to the doping drying, but it seems it is definitely mains related.

AshM750.
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by AshM750. »

I think that's the main problem with my system Doc, I live right in the town centre and have noticed at about midnight my system sounds so much better. At my dads in the middle of nowhere he has very clean power all the time. I can't wait to get the BMU.

Are they homemade speakers stands Doc?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Yes but not by me. I found them going for less than £20 on ebay so took a punt to try them. They don't look as nice as the oak ones I also have but they sound a bit better and are bloody heavy.

AshM750.

Nice! Im thinking of making my own out of solid concrete, may aswell give it a bash. :geek:

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Bloody hell I need a BMU :shock: 11.15pm and the system has really woken up!! a bit earlier it was a bit flat compared with late last night (my first listening) and I put it down to the doping drying, but it seems it is definitely mains related.
Now you mention it The system does sound better late in the evening.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Its after 11pm when most have gone to bed and there is less load on the grid. It usually improves again at about 1am. It varies in different parts, the effect here is greater than in Epping.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

BMU fixes this?

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I hope so, I will let you know. It seems to do lots of things. As I say I didn't have the problem to any extent in Epping. Now that may have been because the mains was always bad or always good, all I know in Epping no matter what time of day when testing BMUs to go out the benefits were consistent. I am waiting on a delivery of sockets to finish two I have on order at the moment, so I will find out, then I have to find the time to build one for me :roll:

Anyway other users I am sure will comment.

Big catch up time as I sold everything I could before the move so I didn't have to move it, which is why I have so much (including Cubes) to build for use here. For example I am using the mk1 A30 Brit Pop part ex-ed for mk2 A40s as everything else I am building is for orders. There was earlier today LS3 on the system that is part of an order going to the USA, so now there is LS1 on it as that is all I have built. Apart from my sources which are top rate and one set of TIS that I have between DAC and pre at the mo you all have better and further up the range of NVA than I have.

AshM750.

You really did sell everything didn't you Doc! I expect they are my old LS1s I exchanged for LS6 not long ago.