Non NVA speakers cables?

All things NVA
AshM750.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Non NVA speakers cables?

Unread post by AshM750. »

This Question is for the Doc but if anyone else has any input then it would be great, this is also good for anyone whos wants to ask the same question in the future.

I would like to try my old speaker cable with my A40 mk2s but have heard its not recommended, could I try them out or is it not worth it ? Will it damage the amps? I would like to do a comparison with the NVA cables I have. :-?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Non NVA speakers cables?

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Most cables are fine with NVA, it is just that some are not, and you could be unlucky. There are cables on the market of Litz or Goertz construction that would literally blow up a NVA within seconds of connection :shock: These are very high capacitance cables. Some have a lesser effect but overheat the amp and some just don't make the amp sound right.

So what are the cables and I will see if I can find out if they will be ok on NVA. Problem is the published specs on cables are largely :Bllocks: so if I don't know the cable I would say don't.

Also the cable and amps were designed for each other so there is a synergy, so there is no need to go elsewhere.

AshM750.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: So what are the cables and I will see if I can find out if they will be ok on NVA. Problem is the published specs on cables are largely :Bllocks: so if I don't know the cable I would say don't.
I have classic 79 strand QED cables, AudioQuest FLX-SLIP 14/4, QED Silver Anniversary XT Biwire(all 2m in length). I dont want to mess up my pride in joy or even void warrenty, just want to compare my old cables.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

QED 79 strand is fine, the Audioquest is dodgy some of their cables are Litz construction. The QED silver just simply sounds crap with everything. That is why it wins What Hi-Fi awards every year :roll:

AshM750.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:The QED silver just simply sounds crap with everything. That is why it wins What Hi-Fi awards every year :roll:
Not tried it and proberbly wont :lol:

brit-pop

Unread post by brit-pop »

I never tried my Rega cables with my NVA amp for warranty reasons but I did try my NVA cables with my Rega amp. The NVA soundcord and LS2 was better than the diy klotz ac110 and Quattro. Equivalent budget offerings at around the same rrp.

The amp was better too but that's a story still being written.

AshM750.

brit-pop wrote:I never tried my Rega cables with my NVA amp for warranty reasons but I did try my NVA cables with my Rega amp. The NVA soundcord and LS2 was better than the diy klotz ac110 and Quattro. Equivalent budget offerings at around the same rrp.

The amp was better too but that's a story still being written.
I have decided not to try the cables, im going to get a different amp out the loft and do a comparison like you did. ;)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Why are you being so circumspect about it at AoS Rich.

brit-pop

Unread post by brit-pop »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Why are you being so circumspect about it at AoS Rich.
I am still forming conclusions and plan to update my system thread in good time, but you know I'm not quite there yet in terms of my overall system and still a few things to try. I'd prefer to avoid chatter which may colour perceptions whilst I'm in that process.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Best of luck, if NVA you will get it in the neck anyway.