Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

We do drift sometimes, but mostly because the OP has gone quiet :shhh:

:epop:

brit-pop
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The cat would like to thank NVA...

Unread post by brit-pop »

Not so much that I've gone quiet more that I'm experiencing a number of profound disappointments with my system at the front end. My improvements with a technics have left me cold if I'm honest and I'm longing for an RP6 right now.

My valve pre/phono is so noisy I can't listen to it. It was smooth and nice one day, then I plug it in again and hiss. Faff and fiddle beckons.

I'm finally getting round to listening to the Phono1 you sent me and whilst it is quieter than the valves, it is quite brusque and unforgiving to what has become an overly fussy source.

It may well need more time to open up a bit and I'll give it that, before I pass final judgement. Maybe it's just too honest and I'm used to a more coloured presentation. None of this is really doing justice to the monos which with my pre and squeezebox touch/DAC sound great.

The furniture issue has become acute now and the rats nest of a system before me is scratching at my OCD.

I'm having serious second thoughts about vinyl in general and going back to sources I know I can do well.

I've had a few shandys this afternoon and can feel me getting cross with it all....

In fact, feck it all I'm going out to the pub... the problems will still be there tomorrow.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

brit-pop wrote:Not so much that I've gone quiet more that I'm experiencing a number of profound disappointments with my system at the front end. My improvements with a technics have left me cold if I'm honest and I'm longing for an RP6 right now.

My valve pre/phono is so noisy I can't listen to it. It was smooth and nice one day, then I plug it in again and hiss. Faff and fiddle beckons.

I'm finally getting round to listening to the Phono1 you sent me and whilst it is quieter than the valves, it is quite brusque and unforgiving to what has become an overly fussy source.

It may well need more time to open up a bit and I'll give it that, before I pass final judgement. Maybe it's just too honest and I'm used to a more coloured presentation. None of this is really doing justice to the monos which with my pre and squeezebox touch/DAC sound great.

The furniture issue has become acute now and the rats nest of a system before me is scratching at my OCD.

I'm having serious second thoughts about vinyl in general and going back to sources I know I can do well.

I've had a few shandys this afternoon and can feel me getting cross with it all....

In fact, feck it all I'm going out to the pub... the problems will still be there tomorrow.
A few shandy's or stronger will often make your system sound worse, especially if you're not happy with it!

I do think your main issue is with the AT cartridge, which can be a bit acidic in some systems, fighting the RS5's. Whatever you do, either a cartridge change AND/OR a speaker change will be necessary to calm it all down.

Bearing in mind the huge cost of a speaker change, may I PLEASE suggest you consider a Sumiko Pearl cartridge - well under a ton from 'turntableworld.co.uk.' I promise you that the sound from vinyl in your current system will change almost out of recognition for you and the best features of the Phono 1 will begin to become evident. If you need extra capacitance added (I'd suggest 220pF or so with this cartridge), this can easily be done by the Doc for you (I did this to my Phono 2 and liked it with the Ortofon and Shure cartridges I often use). Not sure the 440MLa would appreciate it though... Don't know what mat you use, but a Spacemat on top of the stock one will also support the record well and clean the bass as well as NOT emphasise the hf as some more solid mats do IME
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

brit-pop
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by brit-pop »

I think you're right Dave, I've gone off the 440mla quicker than a pint of milk left in the sun.

This echoes advice given elsewhere and I made a bad call on this cartridge with this deck.