New comer

All things NVA
Confucius 753
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New comer

Unread post by Confucius 753 »

Hello everybody

By mere chance I came across NVA amplifiers on the ebay and became very intrigued by their quality vs. cost As far as I understand they are unsuitable to my Martin Logan Hybrid electrostatics with 2ohms at 20 kHz but still, they seem a kill at their price. Are they really that good ???
I saw a schematic diagram on the web, elusively simple, a very classic and well known solid state design with a very good PS, the heart and core of self respecting
amplifier.

Confucius 753

zebbo
Great Britain

Re: New comer

Unread post by zebbo »

Hello Confucius, welcome to the site.
The Mk2 amps are fine into that sort of load. I was using some of the baby Logans, (Scenarios), before I changed to the NVA Cube 1s. Just make sure you use NVA cables.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

applemarc

Unread post by applemarc »

I ran NVA amps with my Martin Logan Summits with no problem a pair of mono amp will be fine or even an AP50
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Confucius 753

Hello

Are you sure about the Logans ? They exhibit exactly the characteristic Mr. Dunn advices against in the NVA site, namely their impedance goes from a 4 ohms
to 2 ohms at above 10kHz. If I had a detailed schematic diagram I maybe could run a simulation to check if I am near oscillation zone. As far as I understand
that's the main danger. Once started oscillation may destroy the output devices of the amplifier and burn the tweeter if you have dynamic speakers.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

The devices used today are pretty tough and different I think to those mentioned on the schematics I've looked at..
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

applemarc

Unread post by applemarc »

Yes Had the summits before the PMC's they where my fourth pair of Martin Logan speakers I did use statements with them
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Confucius 753

Summits with NVA amps

Hello

Were you satisfied by the results ?

Confucius 753

The main issue is one of amplifier stability meaning frequency response (no peaks) and adequate phase margin

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Theory is theory and reality is reality, you are being simplistic and also believing specifications, which is usually a dubious pursuit apart from in gross terms. If it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't.