AP10H

All things NVA
User avatar
Fretless
Posts: 3936
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:15 pm
Location: Somewhere in Holland
Netherlands

Re: AP10H

Unread post by Fretless » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:42 am

The 325 is more accurate and better controlled than the 80. I had both and have kept the 80. Comfort issues with the 325 - which does need a good amp to drive it, as the Doc has said on another recent headphone thread.
Main: NVA: P50sa - SSP - A40 - LS6 - Cube3
Digits: RPi 2B/Allo DigiOne/Volumio/Tomanek ULPS/AQ Jitterbug
DAC: Metrum Acoustics Musette CD Transport: Cambridge CXC
Headphones: AQ NightHawk & NightOwl Amp: Schiit Magni-3
DAC: Cambridge DacMagic Plus + Sbooster LPSU

southall-1998
Posts: 2600
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:16 am
Location: Torquay, Devon.
Great Britain

Re: AP10H

Unread post by southall-1998 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:49 am

Fretless wrote:The 325 is more accurate and better controlled than the 80. I had both and have kept the 80. Comfort issues with the 325 - which does need a good amp to drive it, as the Doc has said on another recent headphone thread.
Indeed, but the AP10H will drive any 325 fine!

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Home Hi-Fi Pics UK (On Facebook)

jammy395

Re: AP10H

Unread post by jammy395 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:08 am

southall-1998 wrote:
Fretless wrote:The 325 is more accurate and better controlled than the 80. I had both and have kept the 80. Comfort issues with the 325 - which does need a good amp to drive it, as the Doc has said on another recent headphone thread.
Indeed, but the AP10H will drive any 325 fine!

S.
An NVA AP10h should be issued with a pair of fine leather driving gloves................ ;) :lol: :guiness;

User avatar
terrybooth
Posts: 3818
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:49 pm
Location: West Yorkshire
Great Britain

Re: AP10H

Unread post by terrybooth » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:58 am

jammy395 wrote:

An NVA AP10h should be issued with a pair of fine leather driving gloves................ ;) :lol: :guiness;
Shh. Don't give away gimmicky advertising ideas. They'll be giving asbestos gloves away with valve amps next.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro two-up

User avatar
Fretless
Posts: 3936
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:15 pm
Location: Somewhere in Holland
Netherlands

Re: AP10H

Unread post by Fretless » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:31 pm

terrybooth wrote:
jammy395 wrote:

An NVA AP10h should be issued with a pair of fine leather driving gloves................ ;) :lol: :guiness;
Shh. Don't give away gimmicky advertising ideas. They'll be giving asbestos gloves away with valve amps next.
Perhaps all Naim amps should come with free earplugs! :lol:
Main: NVA: P50sa - SSP - A40 - LS6 - Cube3
Digits: RPi 2B/Allo DigiOne/Volumio/Tomanek ULPS/AQ Jitterbug
DAC: Metrum Acoustics Musette CD Transport: Cambridge CXC
Headphones: AQ NightHawk & NightOwl Amp: Schiit Magni-3
DAC: Cambridge DacMagic Plus + Sbooster LPSU

alfer
Posts: 1945
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:01 pm
Location: West Midlands
Great Britain

Re: AP10H

Unread post by alfer » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:42 pm

Fretless wrote:
terrybooth wrote:
jammy395 wrote:

An NVA AP10h should be issued with a pair of fine leather driving gloves................ ;) :lol: :guiness;
Shh. Don't give away gimmicky advertising ideas. They'll be giving asbestos gloves away with valve amps next.
Perhaps all Naim amps should come with free earplugs! :lol:
Now that is a good idea. I just avoid them, managed to do so for over 20 years

jammy395

Re: AP10H

Unread post by jammy395 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:46 pm

Nice on Alfer - But you could still be traumatised - Pre 80's.............. :naughty:

Be afraid - Be very afraid............ :guiness;

Shuggie
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:40 pm
Great Britain

Re: AP10H

Unread post by Shuggie » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:23 am

I've been enjoying my AP10H with AKGS K550 'phones. The other day, out of curiosity, I dug out a very old and well-used pair of Grado SR60s and was rewarded with a slightly lightweight sound, but one which was musically rather engaging. So, since the Grados don't owe me anything, I decided to re-wire them, using a second-hand Cardas headphone cable that I bought off eBay.

Well, feck me, these re-wired cheapy Grados now sound utterly magnificent - their sound is transformed in every respect. I never expected such a deep, well controlled bass from these 'phones, but that's what they provide; also a beautifully refined and engaging overall presentation. So, for anyone with an old pair of Grado phones, I'd recommend re-wiring them, but possibly with something less exotic (pricey) than the Cardas stuff that I used.

I suspect that the AP10H works well with pretty much any headphone, but it's a joy with the re-wired Grados. A pair of Beyerdynamic T1 phones are on their way to me (via eBay) and I'm hoping that the AP10H will be fine with them too.

Yomanze
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:32 pm

Re: AP10H

Unread post by Yomanze » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:33 pm

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Grado and AP10h seems to be a very happy mix. I don't think it is a synergy thing, I just think Grado headphones are so good very few headphone amps get the best out of them.
Agree, people think they are "easy to drive", they're not, they need copious amounts of current to sound their best and many headphone amps don't deal with 32 Ohm headphones like the AP10H so effortlessly does.

southall-1998
Posts: 2600
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:16 am
Location: Torquay, Devon.
Great Britain

Re: AP10H

Unread post by southall-1998 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:11 pm

Richard.

My Dad wants to borrow my AP10H :roll:

His headphones are Sennheiser HD600 (300 ohms)

Was my AP10H built to only take 32 ohm headphones like my Grados?

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Home Hi-Fi Pics UK (On Facebook)

Post Reply