NVA SuperSoundCord (SSC) Interconnects.

All things NVA
oldcameraman3
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by oldcameraman3 »

I can't believe I have lived with such inferior sound for all these years. I have just received a set of Super Sound interconnects and connected them up. Amazing! they are night and day from my old cables. I normally have a Toshiba Aurex 15 system running but it is at the repairers and I am using a Cambridge amp and CD player, which I always thought was adequate but not outstanding. I plugged in with these interconnects and the difference was amazing, I had been sceptical about interconnect improvements, my Aurex system came with gold plated cables and these were unusual in these days so I assumed they were the best possible. I am now desperate to get my Aurex gear back, so much so I picked up a used power amp and preamp on E Bay, but am now thinking that the amp switches to mono so the two power amps would give around 90 watts per channel and the pre has 2 outputs, has anybody tried this set up or is running it that can advise me. I use Linn Keilidh speakers and and a decent Planar 3 deck and have found the Aurex phono stage to be good so combined with a set of these interconnect I am hoping for a dramatic improvement so advice would be welcome as I am frankly out of touch with all this.Also a copy of the Toshiba Manuals would be great as they disappeared in our recent house move.

Thanks David.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Keilidh's are very difficult to drive in passive form, as they're a confirmed 4 ohm load and offer a recessed midband in passive form. When you get the other power amp back, BI-AMP them, leaving both set to stereo (setting them to mono may 'bridge' the amps inside and this means they cannot drive the low impedance presented by the Keilidh's anything like as well - can't remember exactly what it does, but I think it doubles the voltage output and halves the current drive??????? - HELP!!).

If you set the system up for bi-amping, I don't think you need to get into the speakers (you need to do this for going active), but I can assure you the speakers will improve their sound quite noticeably. I remember liking the little Aurex units at the time (we sold a good few sets), but how they compare with modern amps I honestly don't know I'm afraid.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

I actually like ''passive'' Linn Keilidh's.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: NVA SuperSoundCord (SSC) Interconnects.

I owned a late pair and they didn't work in the room we had then, even working across a fairly long and narrow room (the low set tweeter and overall driver layout didn't help, as this limits dispersion above and below the tweeter). I've done direct comparisons with the active versions and converted a good few pairs and these were a class apart and very good indeed IMO :)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

oldcameraman3

Unread post by oldcameraman3 »

Thanks to you all for your comments and tips,I note the comments on the Keilidh speakers ,yes they are probably not the ultimate choice.I tried them active with Linn amps I got a loan of but they just didn't suit my taste or hearing . I have also have a set of Audiomaster LS3-5As which sound very good on midrange and a very balanced upper but lack an extended bass but at their size it's what you would expect.They are however trading at obscene prices so might be useful to fund something else.My floor in the house is a suspended concrete system,slightly unusual but should help with certain speakers and the speaker wall has a deep layer of insulation ( 60mm sheet and thermoblock) to the point that a hot amp would make the room comfortable!.So any suggestions welcome,I am not a fanatic sound wise, comfortable listening is more important than performance figures.Thanks again all.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Old 3/5A's should be sold to Japanese collectors for as much as they'll pay - either that or ask Falcon or Stlirling if they can be checked and re-calibrated if necessary (Harbeth too may still do this, but since they're selling all the new speakers they can make, they may decline ;) )

Going active with either LK140's or better, the 5 channel amp they once made (one channel not used) and turning the tweeter level down a notch seems to bring out the best in later Keilidh's (the bass units went through around three changes and the tweeter one change at least). Making sure the tweeters are the later ones with vertical ribs down them removes the scratchiness the older mesh covered ones had and obviously, Kustone stands were mandatory with them.

I have to say though that the replacement Ninka was a better speaker and having the tweeter at the top was beneficial to listeners I thought. Easy to set up for various wiring and amp options too.

I'm drifting way off topic though. Glad you like the SSC's and hope you'll look at other products in the catalogue :grin: ;)

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Excuse the lack of posts, web here is a bit schitt just now......forced to use my kindle.!!!

Firstly I replaced my SC between cd player and pre and between pre and AP10hJS with SSP
A fine upgrade I can recomend, more of the NVA sound only bigger.
Secondly a big thanks to Doc for recomending my latest Sony player purchase....glad to say it arrived safe and sound from Greece and is quite simply stunning.....never thought I would say this but it rivals vinyl with good discs...dont care for the bad uns though....very revealing.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

When the broadband sorts out for you Jammy can you give us a review of the cable differences.

PS is the amp on the way back.

jammy395

Sorry Doc but ive decided to keep the AP10h its relagated to the Pool room...!!!
Unless of course you want it (may have someone in mind!).
SSC update to follow.i

jammy395

Ok The benefit of using SSP mk2 over SC...........

Mmmmmm quite a diff, but let me explain.
I kept the Marantz cd player in place feeding through my Rothwell pre to my AP10hJS, Audeze Lcd3 cans.
Now the Sound Cords are ace and imho piss all over my previous cables....(I wont/cant name em all because I cant remember em all but dozen's).
Swapping SC's for Super Sound Pipes aint subtle, and I cant quantify it, but its BETTER.
This betterness..!! improved more so when I swapped my Marantz for the Sony cd player, so I would say its a synergy thing and would seem to improve further the higher up the chain ya go......the gap widens further with sony in place.
Just buy em..... :guiness;

Mods might want to stick this........where it belongs.........Im on kindle, nightmare.
TECHNICS 1210M5G (turntable) GOLDRING 1042 (cartridge) NVA PHONO 2 (phonostage) MARANTZ 5004 (cd player) ROTHWELL INDUS MK3 (passive preamp) NVA A70s (monos-Bass) NVA A60 (stereo-tweeters)NVA LS6 (speaker cable - bi-wired) NVA SOUNDCORDS (interconects) ZINGALI OVERTURE MK2 (loudspeakers) NVA AP10hJS (head amp) Audeze LCD 3 (headphones).

KEEP IT SIMPLE - KILL UGLY WIRES.

(Doc) Jammy I edited your 1st line as what you have just received is SSPmk2 not SSC.