TFS

All things NVA
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: TFS

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Ali Tait wrote: Move out to the sticks, the further the better!
Then your voltage will fart about all over the place and burn out your freezer motors. I lived in the sticks I have measured 208v and 263v at different times in the middle of the night. Trouble is when you are near or on the end of the line there is no feedback no one knows it is happening unless they send someone out to measure it, and they don't, it costs money. It doesn't hurt hi-fi, that can cope with wide voltage variations, but anything with a motor will have problems as they are regularly overheating or likely to short a turn.

Ali Tait

Unread post by Ali Tait »

Well not my experience, coming as I do from Braemar in the Highlands. Had a nice clean steady supply there, and little or no dc offset from industry!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Ali Tait wrote:Well not my experience, coming as I do from Braemar in the Highlands. Had a nice clean steady supply there, and little or no dc offset from industry!
My experience was over twenty years ago in a village on the Cambridgeshire / Bedfordshire borders called Hatley St George. I didn't say the supply was dirty, it was very clean, the problem is voltage fluctuation at night when you are out in the sticks, and as I said it does not effect hi-fi just motors, and can make old tungsten bulbs pop as well on very over voltage peaks.

Ali Tait

Ok thanks, I'll give it a try at the weekend.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Ali Tait wrote:Well not my experience, coming as I do from Braemar in the Highlands. Had a nice clean steady supply there, and little or no dc offset from industry!
Ah! hydro electric power, the sweetest and nicest tasting :mrgreen: If Scottish highland water makes such good whisky then it must make good 'lecky :think:

Ali Tait

Aye good point! Hadn't thought of that. Wonder if 15 year old is better than the 10. Maybe I should start laying up barrels of lecky.

Ali Tait

On another note, the TFS appears to have crashed. My missus can't get it to boot up. Jason, I'll get her to ring you later. When's a good time?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Ali Tait wrote:On another note, the TFS appears to have crashed. My missus can't get it to boot up. Jason, I'll get her to ring you later. When's a good time?
Its a bloody computer, what do you expect :?
When it does it to me I just unplug it at the mains wait 10 secs then plug it in and press the button at the back to start it again. It then does the usual windows thing of offering to start in safe mode etc. I just normal start and it fires up again.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

OK the next time I find a non existent fault I will phone you at 3am :P

Ali Tait

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Ali Tait wrote:On another note, the TFS appears to have crashed. My missus can't get it to boot up. Jason, I'll get her to ring you later. When's a good time?
Its a bloody computer, what do you expect :?
When it does it to me I just unplug it at the mains wait 10 secs then plug it in and press the button at the back to start it again. It then does the usual windows thing of offering to start in safe mode etc. I just normal start and it fires up again.
Nope, won't even start in safe mode. It's asking for a reboot of the operating system I think, my other half is not too computer savvy. Neither am I for.that matter, but I know more than she does.