LS7 Speaker Cable

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

http://thehifisubjectivist.noadforum.co ... ?f=3&t=770

I think we have a TQ Ultra Black stuffer ;) more to follow tomorrow :shifty:

jandl100
Been thanked: 0

Re: LS7 Speaker Cable

Unread post by jandl100 »

Well, based on how the LS6 punted the Tellurium Black speaker cables into the weeds when I compared them, I would not be at all surprised. 8-)
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

Rick
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Rick »

What's the diameter of the LS7 doc?

I thought the LS5 was thick!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Rick wrote:What's the diameter of the LS7 doc?

I thought the LS5 was thick!
Same thickness, different cores.

Sovereign

Unread post by Sovereign »

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The LS7s have about 40 hours on them now, of mixed low and normal volume listening. Normal volume peaks at about 92dB c-weighted at my listening position.

The LS7 is a wide bandwidth cable capable of resolving detail at extreme low and extreme high frequencies. Midrange exhibits excellent detail, with tightly focused voice and instruments in a wide soundstage with good perceived depth even at stage extremes. Dynamics are lifelike and powerful, and the cable goes louder without the soundstage falling apart. Bass is tight, extended and lacks nothing that I can hear. There is no apparent colouration or frequency tilt. Voice is neutral tonally but lacks some body – I think this is an indication that they have not yet fully burned in. There is a very slight ‘clankiness’ to the overall sound that I recognise from a cable that is not quite there yet. Compared with the Tellurium Q Ultra Blacks, this is the only area (the lack of body in the midrange and clanky sound to leading edges) where the LS7 is still behind. In all other regards, even at this early stage, it is so close to the TQ as to sound essentially the same. In my opinion, it is already better than the LS6.

I think if I were to guess at the LS7’s construction I would say ‘silver’, either because it needs more burn-in or because it has a whiff of the silver ‘house sound’, or possibly both. In my experience silver cables take longer to burn-in than copper ones. I’m confident that I haven’t heard its best yet and it will continue to improve.

(I’m happy for you to quote part or all of the above in your forum, Richard, as long as the sense is preserved. More soon).

Regards

Martin Taylor

Sovereign

Unread post by Sovereign »

:D :mrgreen: :P :) :clap: :dance:

29mile

Unread post by 29mile »

Good to see the LS7 has given the extra bass you wanted Richard. Have to say I find my LS6 has more than enough bass plenty of extension and more importantly very musical. In reality I am happy to give up some bass for a better midrange but the LS6 hits the right notes across the whole range and seems to enjoy being fed by the TSS.
Pricewise the LS7 is some 30% cheaper than Ultra TQ for a 2m length ( £700 v's £1000 I think ).
So then TQ Graphite next ¬¬ :shock

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

29mile wrote:Good to see the LS7 has given the extra bass you wanted Richard. Have to say I find my LS6 has more than enough bass plenty of extension and more importantly very musical. In reality I am happy to give up some bass for a better midrange but the LS6 hits the right notes across the whole range and seems to enjoy being fed by the TSS.
Pricewise the LS7 is some 30% cheaper than Ultra TQ for a 2m length ( £700 v's £1000 I think ).
So then TQ Graphite next ¬¬ :shock
I am going no further, I am embarrassed enough as it is with the price of the LS7. I would hate anyone to think of me as one of those cable rip-off merchants like Nordost or Russ Andrews. Or even TQ :mrgreen:

Remember your LS6 cable was already run in where as Martins LS7 was supplied brand new.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I’ve now put some 90 hours on the cables and they’re showing signs of settling into their final performance level. They certainly have the midrange detail, stage width and depth, visceral bass, dynamic slam and overall pleasing sound of the TQ UBs. And yet they’re different. I think we’re simply down to a choice: in tiny degrees, do you prefer the slightly brighter (silver) or slightly lusher (copper) balance? This is a very small difference and at this level it’s a system fine tuning issue and no more. It’s certainly not compensation for good components, but a decision that will put the finishing slant on the sound that you prefer.

I’m going to listen again at the 150 hour mark to hear for any more changes. If I don’t hear anything further then I would say, to the resolving power of my system, that it’s a draw in performance ability and, as I’ve suggested above, simply a matter of personal preference.

Regards

Martin Taylor