TCS/TAS

All things NVA
applemarc
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

TCS/TAS

Unread post by applemarc »

Ok still not much here so I’ve ordered one of these from Muppet Labs if it sounds as good as the TDS’s then I may not bother to trying to go though Stratford on my way to work during the games I may just take the time off and listen to music. I found that it was almost 2.30am before I could pull myself away earlier this morning the malt has taken a bit of a battering it’s 7.20 am I’ve not had enough sleep and I have to go to a clients and setup a firewall with VPN access (not an exiting prospect). So roll on the games no work for Marc, apologies for any bad English lt must be a lack of sleep.
Beresford Caiman Ipod

applemarc

Re: TCS/TAS

Picked up my TCS/TAS from the Doc with a new pair of longer SSP's set it up last night so tonight I will have a listen and report back I guess it will take a bit of time to run in then I will compare to my Manley Steelhead Phono/Pre. :D
Last edited by applemarc on Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Sovereign

Unread post by Sovereign »

applemarc wrote:Ok still not much here so I’ve ordered one of these from Muppet Labs if it sounds as good as the TDS’s then I may not bother to trying to go though Stratford on my way to work during the games I may just take the time off and listen to music. I found that it was almost 2.30am before I could pull myself away earlier this morning the malt has taken a bit of a battering it’s 7.20 am I’ve not had enough sleep and I have to go to a clients and setup a firewall with VPN access (not an exiting prospect). So roll on the games no work for Marc, apologies for any bad English lt must be a lack of sleep.
That is exactly why I love good hifi :auto-biker:

Ninanina

Unread post by Ninanina »

Malt and music does seem to go together sooooo good though...... :obscene-drinkingdrunk:

applemarc

I have to say this is very good I've decided that the line section is better than my Manley Steelhead Piano sound better leading edge of any instrument is clearer and more defined sound stage is much bigger. I have only played a few LP (Vinyl) so my full review will follow, as my main interest is Vinyl list will take all week at least and the Doc says with statement gear it takes months more lately. But if it was just about the line section it wins easily
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It obviously wont be months before you know how good it is. If left on, a week or so will surfice. It just keeps getting better for a long time, but it is not a linear process, a lot of change at the beginning getting less and less until you no longer notice the changes.

applemarc

Well it's getting some heavy use just now. so I will pass on my thoughts later
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Just had PM from Marc, he says he is very busy, is sorry he hasn't posted but he is keeping the TCS/TAS and promises full report later.

Sovereign

Unread post by Sovereign »

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

applemarc

I’ve had the TCS/TAS for a few weeks now so I thought I should pass on my views Good and Bad.
I came to the Manley Steelhead after owning a variety of Pre amps and Phone amps. Some of which I have listed
Jadis JP80 mc
Pass Labs XA
Pass Labs Xono
Tom Evans The Groove
Audio Research various
The Steelhead I felt took the best bits of all these amps also it has the best phone amp I have heard

The Bad Bits
Compared to my £7500 Manley Steelhead Phono/Pre the fit and finish is not as good.
It does show up some of my poorly recorded albums.

Now the Good points
On CD the dynamic range of the TCS is greater, leading edge appears sharper and more defined piano sounds more like a real piano drums also sound better. The soundstage sounds greater also there is less background noise with the TCS.

Now for me the real important bit, the inbuilt TAS - Dynamic range is even bigger leading edge is sharper and more defined piano sounds more like a real piano, drums also sound better, violin is clearer and cymbals actually sound like cymbals. Sound stage is now wider than I have ever heard. There is a lot less background noise when using the TAS. I have found myself listening to music I have not listen to in years. The TAS lets you hear more of the orchestra I was able to pick out individual instruments more easily. Prog rock sounds great.

I’ve listened to the following
Maria Callas, Carl Orff, Rick Wakeman, David Bowie, Led Zepplin, Beth Orton, ELP
Yes, Brian Eno, Moody Blues, Kate Bush, The Velvet Underground, Cat Stevens.
Pink Floyd, Roxy Music and T.Rex.

I know it’s a bit of a mixed bunch but I like them
So in short I like the TCS/TAS it make's my small CD collection sound better and makes my much larger vinyl collection sound great.

Manley Steelhead up for sale.
Beresford Caiman Ipod