Transformation of an amp

A place for DIY project discussions.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Transformation of an amp

Unread post by karatestu »

My understanding is that Tantalum caps have quite a high esr so are good in situations where you don't want low esr for example where you want a touch of dampening so as not to cause ringing (LM317 output capacitor).
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
Wonfor14 (Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:27 am)
DIY FREE ZONE

r3xj0hn570n
Norfolk Island

Unread post by r3xj0hn570n »

Not all tantalums are created equal. I have a small number of engineering samples left over from an electronics firm used to work at years ago. They are surface mount 220uF 16V tantalums. They measure exceptionally well, ESR is the lowest i've seen in any capacitor of it's range, i use them in my SE mosfet output headphone amp, bypassed with a 20uF film cap to be sure, but i can't hear any signature with them like this.

As for those hateful, unreliable little plastic blobs with 2 legs. They should replaced at every opportunity.

Wonfor14
Great Britain

Unread post by Wonfor14 »

Naim in the past stuffed them in all the products, my last encounter in the MIL world was in the Jump Jets fitted with PTR377 TX/RX and the little buggers were labelled wrong causing the fire and then the ejected pilot.

In a smaller way the design of resistors, and even the size of silicon die to much high degree with the same part number from various company can make the sound bad to good. A complex mess to read there specs and check everyone, I think we should have stayed with wet string and gain.

Wonfor14
Great Britain

r3xj0hn570n wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:47 pm Not all tantalums are created equal. I have a small number of engineering samples left over from an electronics firm used to work at years ago. They are surface mount 220uF 16V tantalums. They measure exceptionally well, ESR is the lowest i've seen in any capacitor of it's range, i use them in my SE mosfet output headphone amp, bypassed with a 20uF film cap to be sure, but i can't hear any signature with them like this.

As for those hateful, unreliable little plastic blobs with 2 legs. They should replaced at every opportunity.
Hey is the 20uF a Paktron? not many folk make this value, cool luv it.

Please forgive me today I hade a weekend of passing out, due to ticker valve sticking, and needing a service, so I feel crap.

r3xj0hn570n
Norfolk Island

Unread post by r3xj0hn570n »

Wonfor14 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:30 am Hey is the 20uF a Paktron? not many folk make this value, cool luv it.
Please forgive me today I hade a weekend of passing out, due to ticker valve sticking, and needing a service, so I feel crap.
The amp is just a one-off, the cap some enormous axial thing whose name i cannot remember. A big yellow one. :)

Oh dear. Diet?

Damn, every evening, my AP70 starts buzzing. It sits under my right hand monitor on my desktop. Bloody horrible mains quality. Maybe it's that telsa battery kicking in. It's doing it now.
These users thanked the author r3xj0hn570n for the post:
Wonfor14 (Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:57 am)

Wonfor14
Great Britain

Well it is on a clay foundation, and hum is what clay often does.
Have you tried a double CML filter?