Tweeter change?

A place for DIY project discussions.
Docfoster
Wales

Re: Tweeter change?

Unread post by Docfoster »

zebbo wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:46 am Thanks Doc, and others, for taking the time to respond.
Managed to have a chat with Thomaz, (it is spelt with a z isn't it?), and he was pretty horrified by the Plasti-dip tweak! We are going to spend some time passing pictures and information back and forth to see if we can find out what's going on and what I can do to correct it. Will probably get some replacement tweeters at some point anyway, to remove the Plasti-Dip from the equation. In the meantime we will be looking at resistors and capacitors etc
Sounds like a step forward.
Resistors and caps will certainly give you precise and reversible control over the attenuation. And speaking personally, any side-effects of my electronic crossovers are preferable to those of my doping (but if attenuation is required, my doping is better than no doping). Though I've never tried doping a tweeter.
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.
LC Audio Technology mains DC filter > Sovereign MTBPS balanced power supply
TQ (Wonfor) Ultra Black cables.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

If you had it before the doc plastidip them, plastidip will not be responsible despite some people's reservations.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:53 pm If you had it before the doc plastidip them, plastidip will not be responsible despite some people's reservations.
I'm not thinking that the Plastic Dip is causing the problem, it certainly tamed them a bit, but I'm wary that it has reduced the tweeters performance overall. They weren't doped in my Cube 1s and they weren't sibilant then so they shouldn't need to be doped now is my way of thinking. I have actually ordered up some new ones but in the meantime I am gluing the sections of the speakers together to make sure that they are airtight to see if that makes any difference.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

You've spent months listening to them if the performance was effected you know.
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post:
Latteman (Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:56 pm)

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Ultimately, my problem is that I don't like things to be "bodged" and the Plasti Dip seems a bodge to me. Even if it had solved the problem completely it still would have played on my mind. I want it sorted but I want it done properly.
These users thanked the author zebbo for the post:
NSNO2021 (Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:41 am)
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I don't see a problem with doping a tweeter lightly, several coats is another matter however.

The visaton G25ffl (any many other tweeters) already have a sticky substance applied to them by the manufacturer.

I have never heard excess sibilance with my speakers and i currently have five per channel with some of them being cheap and nasty. Sibilance is on many recordings to some degree or another. There is nothing you can do about those apart from minimising it as much as possible.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
Daniel Quinn (Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:02 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Ok, I don't know if this will work as I've not tried this before. I know it's low res but it does actually show the typical sibilance quite accurately. Now Mary Black's voice is naturally a bit sibilant but not as bad as this. Now, let's see here....

[bbvideo]https://vimeo.com/user113897856/review/ ... ef82d02c54[/bbvideo]