Recommended amplifier repairs (non nva)

A place for DIY project discussions.
Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Recommended amplifier repairs (non nva)

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

Hi, I have a rogers a75 mk2 which I've owned since new. Hasn't been used for a good few years ,got it out recently and unfortunately when setting it up the phono leads got stuck and in the attempt to remove them the input sockets on amplifier revolved and screwed up the internal wiring :oops: ( it was swoped out years ago due to fault on phono input). I have contacted a couple of people but was unsure about replies , one said they had equipment to check the valves! Second said yes just drop it off, £250 MIN £500 max and no he didn't need the original wiring schematic even though he admitted to never seeing one before? So to my question, can anyone recommend a good repairman, someone who might be able to check the old girl out? Realize this is in no way nav related so I hope it dosent upset anyone :) all ways liked this little amplifier and don't want to see it go, don't mind spending a reasonable amount to get it going again. Any help appreciated.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Recommended amplifier repairs (non nva)

Unread post by savvypaul »

Which part of the country are you in?
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

hi, Berkshire but happy to post as I still have all the original packaging!

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

Hi

You could try JS Audio repairs. John Samson is good to deal with and he gives a warranty. He has a page where you can get a quote. https://jsaudiorepairs.co.uk/quote/ He can also arrange pick up and return at very reasonable rates (about £30.00 each way for my kW550 and its PSU).

He is in Coulsdon, South of London.

Hope this helps.
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

It looks, from what I can find on-line a fairly straight forward repair, if the only problem is the phono wiring. However, with an amplifier of this age it is always possible that other problems may come to light after the obvious has been repaired.

I could rewire the sockets easily enough but your comment "Hasn't been used for a good few years" suggests that it is in need of rather more than just some new sockets and some wire. See what Paul has to say.

A friend had his Marshall Bass amp repaired recently, by Marshall, at a very competitive price including new valves and it was under £500 it looks, and sounds, superb. This just as a guide to cost.

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Thanks for replying, i was also thinking that there may end up with more than just the phono wire repair seeing how old the amp is! Though I have never quite understood why electronic components should fail when in safe storage? And this amp has been stored for far much longer than it has been used ? By the way once I had opened it up and made sure the now broken wires weren't touching anything I tried it with vinyl via little project phono box and CD player (had to use rothwell atenuators) and it ran fine for an hour or two! Still ,I think someone with knowledge would know more. Would really like to be able to use it, even if only now and again without the possibility of damage to speakers etc.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Electrolytic capacitors can go pop when they have not been used for a long time then powered up again.

Look up capacitor reforming or see THIS
DIY FREE ZONE

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Thanks for that, whilst I don't understand the technicalities of it, it certainly makes sense. Time to start rotating spare amps etc I guess or pass them on to someone who will use them! Spent most of my working life building houses , left the electrics to those who knew what they were doing (no comparison I'm sure) most of my work gear spent it's life in the back of a van in all weathers when nt in use, drills, chopsaws,jackhammers etc and always just worked, even my brothers old Allen scythe would work faultlessly after a quick fettle and a bit of oil!