Measuring speakers for numpties

A place for DIY project discussions.
Alfi
Wales

Re: Measuring speakers for numpties

Unread post by Alfi » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:10 pm

Unfortunately you have only answered a part of my two questions. What did you learn from the measurements you did that you did not know before from just listening to the mods you carried out.

When I did Doc mods to my JPW's and when I made my Cube 1 clones, I just used my ears to ascertain the amount of doping to the drivers and the value of the protection capacitors - big green Russian paper in oil thingy's. The size of hand grenades they are. I played around (a lot I must be said) until I had a presentation I liked.
Heavily modified suspended sub-chassis turntable, Sole VIII sub-chassis, "In Sole" advanced polymer suspension, Ai bearing, PU7, DV20X2, Norton Airpower clone. Technics SL110A, AT 1005, Soundsmith Denon DL103. NVA BMU, NVA Phono 2 MC (2 power supplies), NVA P50 SA, NVA A40 Mk1 power amps, custom birch ply Allison 6/NVA Cube 1 clones, NVA TIS mk2 , SSC, LS6.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:21 pm

If you produce a frequency response curve for a speaker, having first built it to be subjectively satisfactory, you will have a reference against which you can evaluate other speakers.

That assumes that the other speakers were measured in the same way using a similar microphone and measuring software, otherwise there will be differences that you can't account for.

I suspect however that the main result of your measurement will be to demonstrate just how wrong the idea that speakers require a flat frequency response is in practice.

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:32 pm

I measure when I'm not happy with something so I can look for a reson why. If for example there is a hole in the response that I can hear then I need to have an idea of what frequency range it is in so that crossover component values can be altered to alleviate the problem.
If treble is spikey the plot will show where the spikey bits are and a notch filter could be added
Just examples, but you get the idea. I'm not inclined to measure for the sake of it, my earoles tell me wether I need to measure in the first place.
The big 15" sealed boxes haven't really needed measuring, they have no crossover at all, they have been voiced by ear
BTE designs type 2 lenco, Audio Technica AT1100 dynavector dv20a2 (his), JVC QL-Y5F HANA sl (hers)
Benedict audio hothead mm phono stage with borrowed LDA ha1 mc stepup
BTE designs type 1 custom Khozmo shunt build passive pre
PASS F5 dual mono Power amp
modified Philips cd371
Squeezebox classic
fane 15" sb speakers
BTE designs balanced power supply