Lead free so

A place for DIY project discussions.
NSNO2021
Great Britain

Lead free so

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

I have tried a few "audio" solders and they have been ok. I was going to try some lead free stuff Paul at Evolution Audio was raving about but he seems to have stopped trading. Can anyone recommend a good lead free solder ? Thanks in advance Paul
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

Simon Hickie
Has thanked: 0

Re: Lead free so

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

Lead free, 3.8% silver. Looks decent.

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

Just be aware that lead free solder may require a higher temperature soldering iron.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Why do you want lead free ? I use lead solder all the time, it's still available and a lot easier to use than the lead free.
DIY FREE ZONE

TroutFisher
Has thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by TroutFisher »

karatestu wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:10 pm Why do you want lead free ? I use lead solder all the time, it's still available and a lot easier to use than the lead free.
+1

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

+2

With only 1 hand, I really do not need anything that makes it harder

NSNO2021
Great Britain

+3 😀
No particular reason other than someone whose opinion I rated was very enthusiastic and after a bit of head scratching I think it might well have been the Mundorf stuff with the high silver content as I recall him saying it came from Germany. My digital soldering iron says it reaches 340c How accurate that temp reading is I don’t know but hopefully it’s hot enough to work it. I doubt very much I will be penning another thread stating it’s sonically better but I am by nature curious and in short lengths it’s not going to break the bank so what the hell?
Whilst we are at it I am tempted to replace the standard pvc sheathed copper cable with silver plated PTFE sheathed cable, any thoughts on a good wire gauge for amps and speaker internal wiring ? All the best Paul
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

nilsatisnisioptimum wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:13 pm +3 😀
No particular reason other than someone whose opinion I rated was very enthusiastic and after a bit of head scratching I think it might well have been the Mundorf stuff with the high silver content as I recall him saying it came from Germany. My digital soldering iron says it reaches 340c How accurate that temp reading is I don’t know but hopefully it’s hot enough to work it. I doubt very much I will be penning another thread stating it’s sonically better but I am by nature curious and in short lengths it’s not going to break the bank so what the hell?
I was issued with a reel of solder in 1973 as a third year apprentice, I still have some of it left. I therefore suggest that a 100g reel will last you a very long time.
nilsatisnisioptimum wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:13 pmWhilst we are at it I am tempted to replace the standard pvc sheathed copper cable with silver plated PTFE sheathed cable, any thoughts on a good wire gauge for amps and speaker internal wiring ? All the best Paul
I doubt you would hear much difference but it is your money.

NSNO2021
Great Britain

The money for 5m of the fancy solder and PTFE sheathed cable will be less than £30 including postage and as I enjoy playing around with some of my system that’s good value in today’s world. As to whether I hear any improvement, well I’m starting on the basis that it probably won’t so I am not going to be upset if that is actually the case. On a positive note, my curiosity will be satisfied and there’s a slight possibility it might sound better and to my way of thinking it’s more fun than watching the tele on a dark wet evening 👍

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

It's fun and you'll of been there done that. But I'd have yourself committed if you hear a difference ;)