Remote power supplies

A place for DIY project discussions.
karatestu
Great Britain

Remote power supplies

Unread post by karatestu »

I have been thinking for a while now to have all the power supplies in my system remote from the circuitry they supply. Lots of examples of it being done. NVA has / had phono amps and the cubix pro with remote supplies.

The main advantage is getting the transformer and charging loop (transformer > rectifier > smooting caps) well away from the sensitive circuitry. But there are disadvantages as well like increased resistance in the power supply - that long umbilical from psu to head unit. The best way i can see to make use of that cable resistance is to put the final smoothing capacitor in the head unit and the resistance then becomes part of a CRC filter.

Some people have just put the transformer remotely and left the rest of the psu near the load. Whist this may seem to be the perfect solution the charging loop between transformer, rectifier and smoothing caps is now very big and the cable between the two parts could radiate all sorts of nasty interference.

I suppose the only way to find out what works best is to try em all and build a noise sniffer (coil wired up to an amp and speaker ?) Or just use my ears. Not as if my to do list wasn't big enough already :roll:
DIY FREE ZONE

Classicrock
Great Britain

Re: Remote power supplies

Unread post by Classicrock »

There are products were the transformer is inches away in the same box and there is absolutely no noise. That obviously isn't the case with phono 2. I'm assuming there are ways of designing this way. With a small box obviously the transformer has to be seperate as would be too close to phono circuits. More ways than one of achieving the same result.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

The thing is (and i have done experiments with this extensively) moving transformers away from amplifier and regulator boards (and even other transformers) does bring improvements to the sound even when there was no audible noise to begin with.
DIY FREE ZONE

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

On amps the doc didn't even shield the transformers, except for the statement range.

Which suggests there are benefits but only minor ones

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:34 am On amps the doc didn't even shield the transformers, except for the statement range.

When one is striving for total excellence even minor benefits are worthwhile. :)

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

The resistance of the supply cable need not be significant depending on the gauge of cable used but, with the final smoothing capacitor/s in the equipment case the capacitance of the feeder must be considered too. I suspect however that a power supply with a large capacity, beyond that required to power the equipment, will have a greater effect on the sound than will the feeder cable or the location of the final smoothing capacitors.

Daniel Quinn

valvesRus wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:34 am
Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:34 am On amps the doc didn't even shield the transformers, except for the statement range.

When one is striving for total excellence even minor benefits are worthwhile. :)
Listening to the majesty of music is not a striving for game

valvesRus
Great Britain

Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:00 am
valvesRus wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:34 am

Listening to the majesty of music is not a striving for game
Striving is "make great efforts to achieve or obtain something" and I thought that excellence in musical reproduction was what we all wanted ?

Daniel Quinn

Spurious pedantry

valvesRus
Great Britain

Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:25 pm Spurious pedantry
If you say so. :lol: